Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Windows 7 iastor.sys BSOD at Boot after long cold shutdown

idata
Employee

So I've installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my Gigabyte GA-p55-ud4dp motherboard with a core i7 860

I installed the latest

P55 chipset drivers 9.1.1.1019

Intel Matrix Storage Manager 8.9.0.1023

I have two somewhat older WD Raptors in Raid 0 configuration and a New LG GH22 DVD Writer.

I get a BSOD reporting issues with iastor.sys after a cold boot after shutdown.

After it starts to BSOD. If I just restart the system, same thing happens. I can't get past boot until I actually switch the whole computer's power off via the PSU and then restart.

What is strange is that if I shutdown and then boot after a few seconds, nothing happens and it boots normally. If I shutdown, go away for a few hours, then boot BSOD everytime.

I'm stumped at this point.

Maybe BIOS settings such as setting into Legacy mode instead of Native mode or something?!?

Seems like just a driver bug.

I had googled iastor.sys issues and tried the LPMDState to 0 registry change but that had no effect. The system is completely stable otherwise. No overclocking.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hmm I noticed that I have RAID/AHCI with Native Mode enabled in my BIOS and installed Windows 7 this way.

The older WD Raptor hard drives I have, don't support Native Command Queuing. I wonder if that is the issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

iastor driver v8.9 .. no wonder... it's a major headache around here,

see thread "Random drive fails with new Matrix Storage Manager 8.9"

http://communities.intel.com/thread/5036

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ya but I am hesitant to install 8.8 given that it wasn't qualified for Windows 7.

I'm trying everything I can first before I do that.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

you can also try the 8.9.2.1002 WHQL driver made for Dell, and see if it clears your BSODs.: http://communities.intel.com/message/71042# 71042

Elizabeth (intel employee) said on page 16 of that long thread:

Yup, it is WHQL'd. 8.9.2.1002 was a release that was done for a customer to fix an issue they reported on their specific configuration. We have occasionally released hot fixes that address specific issues for customers and generally roll all hotfixes into the next major release. We don't post hotfixes for two reasons: 1) the validation is focused primarily on the specific customer configuration b) the customer will make the release available to their customers as needed – which is why you don't see it on our support site. But this particular fix was related to a blue screen during a WHQL logo test ..

0 Kudos