Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Server crashed, now why initializing with RST?

steam2
New Contributor I

A new RAID5 array with three 4TB HDDs via RST 12.9 on Z68. "Initialize" was not chosen when it was created. I copied files to it, no problem. Then the server crashed and restarted.

When it came up, the array status was Initializing" and it's been 24hrs and at 33% done.

Questions:

1. Is it doing this initialization because it was never done? I can't cancel it.
  2. If the server crashes after the initialization completes, is RST going to do another initialization or will it just be "Verifying"?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi OvalPiston,

The initialization process is always a requirement of RAID arrays; you can stop it but the RST application will try to run it every time the system is idle.

Without the Initialization process, the RAID array is not protected and you can lose all the data.

Initialization process verifies RAID integrity and HDDs status.

It is recommended to run it before adding data to the RAID configuration.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
steam2
New Contributor I

Whether initialization is important or not is not my question.

Here are my questions again:

1. Is RST doing this initialization only once because it was never done? I can't cancel it.
  2. If the server crashes after the initialization completes, is RST going to do another initialization or will it just be "Verifying"?
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi OvalPiston,

My answers are the following

1-Initialization runs once per RAID array.

2-It might run again if the option could not finish at 100%.

Mike C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi OvalPiston,

I am following up on your case. Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Mike C
0 Kudos