Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

Dual Monitors - Intel(R) HD Graphics

idata
Employee

Hi all,

I am using a HP Pro 3300 series SFF running windows 7.

I am attempting to use a second monitor with theis machine. The first being feed via VGA port and the second via the DVI port with an adapter to a VGA monitor..

One monitor has VGA and tje second has a DVI input

The monitor that works is the one fed from the VGA port. I have updated the driver for the Intel(R) HD Graphics card, which was standard, have tried to activate this in the control panel but I am consistently told that the second monitor can't be detected. This is also the same result when I open up the Intel Graphics Control Menu, point to Multiple Displays, it is only seeing one monitor (Primary Dispaly) and can only select single display (Operating Mode).

I'm not sure what else to try and any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards and Thank You

0 Kudos
6 Replies
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hi Tim,

This might be an issue associated with the adapter you're trying to use. It sounds like you have two VGA connections on your system though if I'm reading your description right. I'm assuming (correct me if I'm wrong) that both monitors also have a VGA connection you can use? Or is the other one DVI-only? Try testing the following things;

1. Try plugging in just one monitor, the one that hasn't worked - using the VGA cable. Does the monitor work this way?

2. Try plugging in (one at a time) both monitors into the second VGA port. Do they both work this way?

Lastly, can you provide a copy of your dxdiag for review? (Start -> Run -> dxdiag -> Save All Information).

Thank you,

-Nic

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your reply.

Since my last messge, we have tried to use a second monitor (monitor B) that has a DVI input as well as a VGA input. This has been connected to the PC via a dvi cable and we are getting the same issue.

Plugging in monitor A for single use with the VGA cable works fine.

Plugging in monitor B for single use with the VGA cable works fine.

Plugging in monitor A (VGA) and monitor B (DVI to VGA adapter through to VGA cable), only works from monitor A

Plugging in monitor A (VGA) and monitor B (DVI cable) only works from monitor A. On a reboot the windows animations starts but on login screen only monitor A works.

This PC only has one VGA port and one DVI port.

Please see below for dxdiag text. Many thanks again, hope you can help.

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 11/28/2012, 14:13:13

Machine name: VUE-50270

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120330-1504)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

System Model: HP Pro 3300 Series SFF

BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/14/2012 CUP_715.rom Ver: 7.15

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G630 @ 2.70GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 2984MB RAM

Page File: 871MB used, 5096MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No sound card was found. If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer.

Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------

DirectX Debug Levels

--------------------

Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)

DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)

DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)

DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)

DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)

DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)

DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

DAC type: Internal

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0102&SUBSYS_2ABF103C&REV_09

Display Memory: 1300 MB

Dedicated Memory: 64 MB

Shared Memory: 1236 MB

Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: XA7-17

Monitor Id: PTS030C

Native Mode: unknown

Output Type: HD15

Driver Name: igdumd32.dll,igd10umd32.dll,igd10umd32.dll

Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.2696 (English)

Driver Version: 8.15.10.2696

DDI Version: 10.1

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 3/19/2012 22:26:56, 6120960 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: {D7B78E...
0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

So this is what I've got so far, let me know if I'm wrong;

Blue ended cables are VGA, white ended are DVI, and blue end with white end is the vga cable + vga/dvi adapter. These are the configs you've tried, right?

This tells me that both monitors are functional, so that's good. Have you tried following this guide on how to enable multi-display? http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-031026.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-031026.htm

Also, while looking at the support page for your machine (HP Pro 3300 Small Form Factor), I noticed that they did not have a display driver for Intel. However, they did have drivers for AMD and Nvidia. Does your machine use one of these graphics cards? They didn't show up in your dxdiag, so I'm curious as to why there is neither a card that meets the system specs of your machine from the website, OR an OEM provided Intel graphics driver.

However, in the situation that you do not have an add-on graphics card - you can try using one of our drivers to see if it resolves your issue, since we can't find one on the HP site. You've got an Intel® Pentium™ G630 with Intel® HD Graphics™ - so I would suggest using our Intel® Driver Update Utility located here; http://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Intel Download Center

Let this utility determine the proper driver for you to download, and after it's done - give your dual monitor setup a try and let me know if it works or not.

Thanks,

-Nic

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Nic,

You were correct with the diagram.

I had tried the guide before contacting you but unfortunately only 'single monitor' is available and there is not an option to select multi screens.

There was however a driver update for the graphics card but this still didnt yeild any results.

Is there anything else we can try?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

What about the add-on graphics cards I mentioned before; do you have any of those?

0 Kudos
KChan60
Beginner
0 Kudos