Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Problem with expired password - Intel ProSet v15 - Windows XP - PEAP - MS-CHAP-V2 - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230

SJohn18
Beginner

Hello,

I have a problem with expired password in Windows XP using latest Intel Proset v15 on my Toshiba Portege R830 laptop with a Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 wireless chipset.

I need to establish a totally seamless wireless experience for all users using all kind of laptops, just like their were using the wired network. We don't want our users to type their username and password, whatever the situation, so we are using SSO.

Most of our laptops are currently using SSO with basic Windows Wi-Fi management, but we had lots of signal strength problems with the Toshiba Portege R830 laptop and the Intel ProSet suite solved it.

The wireless network is configured to use WPA2-Enterprise with PEAP - MS-CHAP-V2. We don't want all users permanently connected to our wireless because our wired infrastructure is more stable, it's mostly for use in conference rooms, so it's set to Manual.

On all our laptops with basic Windows Wi-Fi management, when you try to connect with an expired password, you have a "special" authentification pop-up that alert you that your password is expired, if you try to change it right away, it doesn't work, but if you log off, then at the logon screen you type your username and password as usual, you have the usual "password is expired" logon authentification screen where you change your password to a new one. After you logon and the Wi-Fi starts working again correctly.

Here's the problem : When using Intel ProSet v15 configured in Manual connection mode but with Maintain Connection setting enabled, I also have the "special" authentification pop-up that alert you that your password is expired, if you try to change it right away, it doesn't work, just like when I was using basic Windows Wi-Fi management. Problem is, after that I logoff and try to logon again, I don't get prompted to the usual "password is expired" logon authentification screen, I need to logon with the expired password.

I want to stay with "Use Windows Credentials", I don't want to go with "Use the following".

Am I doing anything wrong ?

Thank you very much !

Konnan

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Thank you for posting Konnan.

We will need to investigate the issue.

0 Kudos
SJohn18
Beginner

Hello Joe_Intel,

If you need any more information or precision on this issue, don't hesitate to contact me and I will do everything to help you, so that you can help me.

Thank you very much,

Konnan

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

We will need to know what is the Intel(R) driver version you are using.

If it is not the package 15.6.1 (driver 15.3 in device manager) we suggest you to get the full version driver from the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22546&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%20XP%20%20*&DownloadType=Software%20Applications Download Center

If the issue happens with both please also provide the older driver version.

0 Kudos
SJohn18
Beginner

Hello Joe_Intel,

I'm using Wireless_15.6.1_x32.exe Intel ProSet package that includes driver version 15.3.1.2 dated 2012-09-30.

I was using an outdated driver, the one that Toshiba released with this laptop and I can't find any information on the Internet about it so I guess you phased it out quick on your side. It was Intel Proset 14.0.2.0.1.x32.exe

I stopped using that driver because "Use Windows Credentials" wasn't working at all with it. With the latest driver, at least it works correctly after a single logoff/logon so that Intel Proset can catch Windows Logon information once.

I can try another driver if you wish so, please state which one you would like me to try.

Thank you very much,

Konnan

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello Konnan

We will take a look into it.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
SJohn18
Beginner

Hello Joe,

Investigation on your part was going well but suddently, I have no news for nearly two months.

Do you know if I can do anything ?

Thank you very much !

Konnan

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello again,

I am really sorry about the delay. Our developers are working on different issues at this time.

Is it possible to test with the most recent driver version 15.8.0 for Windows* XP? Let me know if you get different results. I will follow up about this case in the meantime.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22785&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%20XP%20%20*&DownloadType=Software%20Applications Download Center

0 Kudos