Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Can't turn off SRIOV on CentOS 7 after its turned on

MYang241
Beginner

I'm running CentOS 7 with a dual NIC nianctic (10G, ixgbe), and I have been experimenting with SRIOV.

I turned on SRIOV via the following command"

echo 8 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:01\:00.0/sriov_numvfs

However, this setting seems to be permanent. Even when I reboot, sriov_numvfs is is automatically enabled and set to 8. I don't have a startup script that is setting it.

I'm curious if there's a way to permanently disable sriov. I'm currently disabling it in a startup script, but because of ixgbevf, my Ethernet device ordering gets screwed up.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi morganyang1982,

Thank you for contacting Intel.

On Linux Kernel version 3.8.x and above, VF can be destroyed or disabled by writing the value 0 to the sriov_numvfs parameter via sysfs interface.

# echo 0 > /sys/class/net/device name/device/sriov_numvfs

You can find the above-mentioned settings and other information on this http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/technology-briefs/xl710-sr-iov-config-guide-gbe-linux-brief.pdf Technical Brief.

Refer to page 12.

I hope this is helpful. Feel free to reply to us if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
MYang241
Beginner

Hi Sandy:

Thanks for your reply, that method is what I'm using to disable SRIOV right now. However, as soon as the system reboots, sriov_numvfs becomes 8 again. Before I enabled SRIOV, it was always 0, but now I would have to reset it everytime the system reboots, which is not ideal. Is there another setting that is persisting across reboot?

Much Thanks

Morgan Yang

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi Morgan,

Thanks for replying.

I noticed you've entered the command "echo 8" instead of "echo 0", that's why you are seeing the sriov_numvfs value of 8. Make sure to change it to echo 0.

Hope this help resolve the issue.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
MYang241
Beginner

Hi Sandy:

I have been using "echo 0" to disable SRIOV, however, as soon as I reboot the system, SRIOV becomes enabled again.

I initialy used "echo 8" to enable SRIOV for experimentation, I did not add that to any startup script or services, so I don't understand why SRIOV is being persistent across reboots.

In order for me to turn off SRIOV, I would have to "echo 0" every time after reboot in a startup script.

Sorry if I was not clear about my situation in the previous post.

Much Thanks

Morgan Yang

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi Morgan,

Thanks for the clarification.

Please provide the network card model that you are using so I can further check on the command and will update you.

Have a great weekend!

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi Morgan,

Good day. We would like to request for the model of network card that you are using so we may further look into this issue. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos