Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

Custom Fedora LiveUSB provided by Intel = DISASTER!

WDeck
Beginner

I wanted to test upgrade install of used Q6700 Quad Core CPU from original E6600 Core 2 Duo, on a seldom used but reliable IBM Intellistation with multiple OS 's, 3 primary partitions, a 4th hidden primary for back-ups. and using Boot-US to manage OS selection. A lot of time involved to setup and get working the way I wanted.

So... I just wanted to verify operation, particularly temperature under stress load with this new(used) Intel processor. But, I was sandbagged!!!

PLEASE: someone in this community, press Intel to correct this "Accident waiting to happen!" before it ruins another's Day/Night.

Immediate help would be recommendation of best Partition Recovery software to reclaim what remains of system hard drive (1, physical hard drive), after "Custom Fedora LiveUSB provided by Intel" trashed it.

Details::

1) Google search turns up link(s) to Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool at top of list.

2) Go to: http://www.tcsscreening.com/files/users/IPDT_LiveUSB/index.html Home {link to "Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool Overview" at tcsscreening.com"}

3) Note installation requirements for Windows versions. Don't want that; prefer testing software is run from removable drive, whenever possible.

4) See Linux Bootable USB with IPDT is offered. Read documentation on page:

1. Create a bootable USB Flash device
    • Use HPUSBFW utility in "Linux Images" section to format your USB device
  2. Install Fedora Live OS
    • Install Fedora Live OS using Fedora LiveUSB Creator - available in "Linux Images" section
  3. Boot Fedora LiveUSB
    • Insert Fedora LiveUSB in your system with the Intel Processor you wish to test
    • Set the system to boot from USB as first boot device - in your systems BIOS
  4. Run IPDT
    • The first time you boot and run Fedora LiveUSB with IPDT you will be required to install IPDT and accept the End User Agreement.

5) Pay attention to Item 4: requirement to accept EULA on first boot and run of Fedora LiveUSB.

6) Follow link to Documentation Section. See release notes and User Guide. There is NO Installation Guide. Save User Guide for reference when ready to use diagnostic utility.

7) Create bootable USB flash drive according to above instructions.

***Postmortem Comment***: After viewing Release Notice for 32 bit version, found this: Added Hard Drive Installation process

THERE IS NO REFERENCE TO THIS IN 64 BIT VERSION RELEASE NOTICE!

And... I was installing the 64 bit version, so no reason to view 32 bit release notice, anyway.

8) Insert newly created LiveUSB into computer I wished to test, after modifying BIOS to boot from USB, as required.

9) System loads and presents the Fedora desktop. Just the -DESKTOP-, as in: NO dialog box or text prompt to explain what to expect next.

10) Note that icons on desktop reflect names of valid, loaded and visible PARTITIONS. As expected, the only PARTITION that is visible on the 1st physical hard disk is the one last mounted by the Boot-US partition manager.

11) Among the several desktop icons, there is only one, at the bottom left side of display, that has any possible relation to the actual running of the expected Intel diagnostic utility. This icon does not even have a full descriptive name shown, because of truncation applied by desktop view. "Install to Hard..."

12) One click from DISASTER : Okay... I see nothing else available to launch the IPDT utility. I have no expectation of any DANGER. NO RED WARNING, that I later find in above referenced "User Guide". No reason to EXPECT that after going to all the trouble to create a specific bootable USB stick to run this specific test utility, obtained from Intel, which to say the least is expected to be a TRUSTED source... Why would anyone on this planet EXPECT that some IDIOT decided to add the *feature* of a destructive Operating System install as the ONLY option ICON in view. Really!!! Like any Linux user would choose Intel even, as a source for a new Linux install??? WHY???!!!

13) After that ONE click, I suspected I was in trouble. After seeing the files load, I knew it. But, I still had hope that the INSTALL would simply add files to the one, visible partition on the 1st physical hard disk, and no doubt rewrite the MBR, which was really annoying, but I could correct.

No such luck: this Custom Fedora LiveUSB provided by Intel is not a choice I imagine any user, Linux or otherwise would find useful, and for what reason? The install is completely and thoroughly DESTRUCTIVE. It formats the entire physical hard drive, whatever one it sees first, sparing NO partitions, hidden, protected: forget about it. It takes it all. And for what purpose? I still cannot believe it.

And I still can't believe that I am the first person since the September 2014 release to explode this bomb in a personal computer and post about it.

After reading the entire User Guide, I re-made the USB boot stick, and "added" the IPDT application TO THE USB STICK, which requires opening a command window from the Fedora desktop and typing in the necessary install command, which is only available from reading said User Guide. Only after this, which allows acceptance of the Oh So Important EULA, does an icon(s) for IPDT appear on the Fedora LiveUSB desktop. So simple anyone could do it? Right!?!

My compliments to the creator(s) of the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool. It is exceptional, and what I would hope to always see from Intel.

As to whoever is responsible for the current Custom Fedora LiveUSB provided by Intel... have a nice day.

Signed,

Walker (Virginia)

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I am truly sorry for the bad experience you had and that you did not see the warning from the User Guide before executing the program.

I will forward your suggestion to the proper department so they consider including a pop-up window, warning of data loss and giving the options to continue or cancel such task.

0 Kudos