Items with no label
3335 Discussions

3D reconstruction mesh smoothing

ROenn
Beginner

i am currently using the 3d reconstruction module to scan faces. the issue i am running into is that it appears the reconstruction applies some type of smoothing (laplacian?) to the outputted mesh and i would like to control that smoothing amount. the outputted mesh of the face scan ends up smoothing out important details and features in the face that my application needs. also, what mesh post-processing is happening behind the scenes in the SDK when you save as a mesh?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for contacting us.

I would like to know what camera you're using. Is it a SR300?

Regarding the smoothing, in the SDK documentation, under Face Tracking and Recognition > Enumerator reference there's a module called SmoothingLevelType and according to its description it enumerates the face smoothing modes, with three values: Disabled, Medium and High.

I'm wondering if you have tried changing the value to SMOOTHING_DISABLED yet.

Regards,

-Pablo
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Pablo,

Thanks for the response.

We are using an SR300.

I might be misunderstanding, but the SmoothingLevelType enum belongs to the Face Tracking and Recognition module. This enum belongs to PXCFaceConfiguration, which is not a part of the 3D Scanning module.

We're specifically targeting the mesh smoothing that happens in the scan reconstruction process for PXC3DScan::Reconstruct.

Is there any way to change the smoothing that happens there?

Thank you,

Andrew

idata
Employee

Hi Ryan,

Yes, you're right, my apologies for the confusion. Nevertheless, looking at the 3D scanning options in the SDK documentation there are four enumerator options. I would like to know if you've tested those, specially FileFormat and ReconstructionOption. Have you tried changing its options?

ReconstructionOption offer four different outputs, NONE, SOLIDIFICATION, TEXTURE and LANDMARKS. It would be a good idea to try with each of them (same for the FileFormat enumerator) to see if you get different results.

Regards,

-Pablo

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ryan,

I'm wondering if you have any updates on this case. Did you get different results?

-Pablo
0 Kudos