Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Windows Hello when coming back from sleep/lock screen

idata
Employee

With Windows Hello setup, and on initial power up, Windows Hello recognizes me from the lock screen and then immediately and automatically dismisses the lock screen and then switches to my desktop.

However, if I Win-L or the system sleeps, upon wake up, and once recognized, I need to swipe or type a key to dismiss the lock screen. I get this message when recognized:

Dismiss the lock screen to log back into windows

I do not get this message on boot, and I have:

Settings->Accounts->Sign-in options->Automatically dismiss the lock screen if we recognize your face

Set to on.

9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi davidfi01,

Thank you for contacting us.

This is a strange behavior. From what you're describing you shouldn't see a message after logging in if the settings are configured this way. Are you using a camera that's integrated with the computer or an external camera and if so, which one? Which OS are you using?

Post a picture of you "sign-in options" screen to review everything was properly configured.

We'll be waiting for your response.

-Sergio

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

1) Camera is external SRS300

2) OS in Win 10 AU

3) The lock screen is automatically dismissed on boot up, but not on wake from sleep.

40 Setup picture:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi davidfi01,

Thank you for attaching the picture of the "sign-in options" screen. I configured my PC to have the same settings and did what you tried. I used Windows+L and waited for the camera to do the facial recognition. I was prompted with the same message as you: "Welcome User, Dismiss the lock screen to log back into windows". At this point I just pressed the Up Arrow key and the system returned me to the same screen before I used Windows+L. What you're seeing is normal operation, so there's nothing to worry about.

I also did the test using a computer with Windows 10, and with an integrated camera.

-Sergio

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OK - but this is should NOT be the intended behaviour.

Please reboot your computer and note the initial login process. Once recognized, you should be moved right to your desktop NOT to the lock screen waiting a keystroke action.

What is the benefit of using facial if a keyboard or mouse action is needed when recognized from a sleep state wake up? Why is this different than boot state? What is the purpose of "automatically dismiss the lock screen if we recognize you"????

D

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I understand your concern. If you wish to go to the desktop instead of the lock screen, there's a workaround you can try. Go to http://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/05/disable-windows-10-lock-screen/ http://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/05/disable-windows-10-lock-screen/ and follow these steps. As mentioned earlier, going to the lock screen after being recognized is expected, but with this workaround you should be able to go directly to the desktop.

Let us know your results.

-Sergio

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yeah - I have seen those kluges. However, the point is to have the system still do authentication, not to bypass it on wake from sleep. What I want to by pass is the user action required to clear the lock screen just as happens on boot or restart. Seems like is a MSFT thing not an Intel thing, but I am wondering whether it is something your driver does or it's Windows Hello?

D

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That's correct, this is a Microsoft Design decision. It has nothing to with RealSense. All Windows Hello PCs, with or without RealSense cameras, behave this way.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

-Sergio

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi davidfi01,

Do you still need assistance with this case? Please let us know if there's anything else we can assist you with.

-Sergio

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the follow up. You can close this case.

D

0 Kudos