Items with no label
3335 Discussions

DCM SR300 installer keeps failing at firmware step

KKenn1
Novice

Hello,

I have got an SR300 a few days ago (development kit), bought directly from the Intel store. Immediately I tried to install the Depth Camera Manager (3.3.27.5718) to start working with it.

Unfortunately, for some reason, the installer keeps failing. It always tries to download and update the firmware. I attach pictures of the process:

- Starts the installer. It does not give options, just confirm to continue (Image1)

- Starts downloading the firmware - it does not seem like it actually starts to download, it stays like this for a few of minutes (Image2)

- Reports an error and it only allows to end the installer (Image3).

The very first time I ran the installer, I got the feeling there was an option to activate/deactivate the update of the firmware. However, every time I run this, since the first time, I do not have such option and I end up with the same problem as above. I've been searching through the registry and logs and can't find the reason why it fails.

Further information:

- Intel (R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU @2.40GHz

- 8.00 GB RAM

- Windows 10, 64 bits

- An F200 camera is already embedded. After some installation failures (as above) I uninstalled all I could find (including the DCM) for the F200.

I also attach the installation logs.

Can someone please help me to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Kenneth

10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Kenneth,

Thanks for reaching out!

This behavior is caused by the model of your CPU. As you can see in http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/emerging-technologies/intel-realsense-technology/000020964.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/emerging-technologies/intel-realsense-technology/000020964.html, the SR300 RealSense camera requires a 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor, however, your PC has a 5th generation CPU as you can note by the model number (i7-5500U).

The F200 RealSense camera was able to work on your PC because as you can see in http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/emerging-technologies/000006219.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/emerging-technologies/000006219.html, it requires a 4th or 5th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor, which your PC does have.

I hope this information is helpful.

-Peter.
KKenn1
Novice

Hello Peter,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply! I totally missed to see that in the requirements. That helps, thanks!

I have to say that it's very sad though. The 6th generation was launched in just August 2015, meaning a huge amount of developers won't be able to work with the SR300. Until today, I was thinking my laptop was "rather new", and it's going to be hard to get a new one

Then I have a few follow-up questions:

1) I'm sure I was presented the option to install or not the firmware the first time with a checkbox. There must have been a registry entry, or a file dropped somewhere that recorded that initial choice, as I was never asked whether I wanted to update the firmware or not. Since the first time, the installer just does it every-time. Could you please tell me how I restore that? Trying to install without a firmware update is my last hope.

2) Is there a chance that at least the runtime will support older versions of the processor? Such important constraint is not going to be met by 90% of end-users*

3) Is there a chance to still make the SDK work with my processor? This, assuming I'm mainly interested in getting the data from the camera, not in some specific functionality or samples.

Thanks in advance,

Kenneth

* I made up that number, but it's for illustration purposes. I'm sure you have better statistics

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Kenneth,

We have been able to reproduce the SR300 firmware update error on a Broadwell system. If you check the pid log, you will see an entry for "FW update return code: -1002".

When you first connect a RealSense camera to a USB 3 port on Windows 10, Windows Update will initiate and download the latest DCM driver. Sometimes this process may take a few minutes and other times it is almost instantaneous. In the Broadwell system we tested, it took several minutes for the system to recognize the camera then download the driver.

We tried to manually install the DCM during this phase where the camera is not fully recognized by the system (as I believe you are currently doing) and maybe in the process of downloading the DCM from Windows Update. The result was the -1002 error.

The workaround we found is to not install the DCM 3.3 driver manually. You should wait several minutes and let Windows Update download and install the DCM driver for the camera. You can see all this happening by looking at Device Manager -> Imaging Devices and seeing the entries for RGB, Depth, and Virtual Driver appear after a while. When Virtual Driver appears everything is installed.

Please note that while the SR300 DCM can be installed on Broadwell, the SR300 camera is not guaranteed to work. It may work, or it may not. If you'd like to use the SR300 camera on a Broadwell system you'll have to do it at your own risk.

The RealSense SDK itself can work on a Haswell but the underlying DCM and camera are the concern. The SDK samples and any RealSense application depend on three primary components to work: 1) the camera itself, 2) the DCM, 3) the SDK runtimes. The SDK runtimes do not care about the underlying platform. The camera and the DCM are impacted by the underlying platform.

I hope this information helps.

-Peter.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Kenneth,

Do you have any updates about this?

-Peter.
0 Kudos
KKenn1
Novice

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your detailed answer and for following up on this. It's great to know you are really digging into this matter. Thank you.

I have done a combination of things from what you suggested:

- I left the camera connected without trying to install the DCM 3.3 for some time (I even left it overnight) and did not "observe" any difference. A further confounding factor is that the F200 is embedded into my laptop, so the "Virtual Driver" was already showing without knowing whether it was a consequence of an automated Windows update.

- Nevertheless, I managed to go to the Virtual Driver through the Device Manager and force the search and update of its drivers. Windows did manage to find some drivers online, downloaded them and installed them.

- Still, even after that, I'm shown 5 devices under the "Imaging devices" section: the F200 RGB and Depth cameras, the SR300 RGB and Depth cameras and the Virtual Driver. Would the virtual driver be "shared" by the F200 and SR300?

- Finally, after the update was "forced", I tried to install the DCM 3.3 in case there are some elements missing that Windows does not update automatically. However, the installation keeps failing in the same manner as above.

My problem is that I have no way of testing whether the camera is working. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the SDK and the samples come with the installation of the DCM 3.3? Maybe I'm missing a package which I haven't got as I didn't manage to move on from the first stage?

Another question was about whether the DCM 3.3 installer can really skip the firmware update step. As mentioned above, I'm sure the installer gave me the option of whether to update the firmware or not (the first time I executed it), and after indicating yes (through a checkbox), I no longer was prompted whether I wanted or not in later attempts for installation. Please let me know if there is a way to skip the firmware update step.

Thanks,

Kenneth

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Kenneth,

If you have two different cameras on your system, like you do with the F200 and the SR300, there should be two virtual drivers, one for the F200 and one for the SR300. The virtual driver should not be shared.

The SDK is in fact not included on the DCM, it is installed separately. You can find it in https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-realsense-sdk.

However, I must point out that, the hardware limitations may stop you from achieving to install DCM. And unfortunately, I believe this is what's happening.

-Peter.
0 Kudos
KKenn1
Novice

Hi Peter,

Then I guess that I need to find another computer to work on. If I happen to find a way otherwise, I'll let you know.

Thanks for the information and for having checked on this.

Have a nice day,

Kenneth

ps: please let me know if it is still possible to skip the firmware update step within the DCM installer.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Kenneth,

Unfortunately, it is not possible to skip the firmware update stage.

Are there two virtual drivers in the Device Manager (one for each camera)?

Please note that having the embedded F200 complicates things with the external SR300. Which could be the reason why the workaround provided above is currently not working.

If you'd like to just use the F200, you should disconnect the SR300. If you will not use the F200, better to disable it in the Device Manager. That way you could try to force a Windows Update download of the SR300 DCM, then you should update the driver for SR300 Depth in the Device Manager.

If there are two virtual drivers then the DCM for both cameras are installed and you should not try to install any DCM manually.

Please let us know how you decide to proceed and we'll try to help you if any issue comes up.

-Peter.
0 Kudos
KKenn1
Novice

Hi Peter,

I've tried a few things following your recommendations. These included from disabling the F200 device drivers (RGB, Depth and "Virtual"), up to completely uninstalling its drivers.

Nevertheless, it seems Windows managed to recover the ones for the F200, as the three related devices reappeared (RGB, Depth and Virtual). However, for the SR300, only the RGB and Depth devices show up. Its corresponding Virtual Driver does not appearno matter what, as it not installed automatically by Windows.

Finally, when I try to update the drivers for the whole SR300 (single entry within the "Universal Serial Bus Devices" sections) Windows indicates that the drivers are up to date: "WinUsb Device".

Unfortunately, I'm running out of ideas. I think we'll have to find a way to get another computer to try the SR300

Thanks a lot for the help nevertheless!

Kenneth

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm sorry to hear that, I believe that the hardware limitations will not let you use SR300 with this current system. So, my best suggestion right now is, as you mentioned, that you try to use it on another PC with compatible hardware.

If that is possible, please let us know if you are able to use the camera. And if you have any other issues/doubts, please don't hesitate to come back to the community.

-Peter.
0 Kudos