Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

Problem with HD 530 on i5 6600K

LTone
Beginner

Hi guys, some weeks ago I built my new pc with i5 6600K, MSI Gaming M5, 2*4GB Corsair ddr4 Vengeance LPX @3000mhz and a Corsair HX620W(I already got it). I have a problem because sometimes the screen doesn't work(black screen with a written message "not supported mode"). The screen starts with some "interferencies": sometimes the problems solves itself, sometimes i have to reboot the pc. I have already update the MB BIOS to the 1.4 version and I have updated the VGA driver to the latest avaiable version. It's not a problem of temperatures(idle 24°C, in game 42°C-I have a Noctua NH-U9S)... What can I do? Should I ask for an RMA? Is it a driver problem or is it related to the CPU/MB? Thank you!

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello topax,

Could you please let us know the operating system you're using?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
LTone
Beginner
0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Please fill out the following form /thread/77761 Default level information for reporting Graphics issues and post it here.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
FOrsa
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

The issue is very close to the original post. The difference is my hardware (Skylake i5 with HD 530, MB MSI Z170 Gaming M3, 32 GB DDR4 memory HyperX).

The problem started by noise in various lines on the screen then elevated to sometimies blinking or total blackout of the screen. I tried to check cable attachement, set various memory settings, unplug memory modules, but nothing helps. Only in the BIOS environment is the graphics OK.

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

It happens irregularly and I do not know any way to reproduce the problem. As this machine is brand new I can only roughly estimate it happens 25% of all the time it runs.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Own build.

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Using IG only, for the purposes of writing of this issue I installed an nvidia card (no graphics issues with the discrete GC, obviously).

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

EFP HP LP2465

<span style="font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-size: 10pt; ...

0 Kudos
LTone
Beginner

Wow, it is almost the same problem! The interesting thing is the we have the same motherboard brand, so probably it is a BIOS problem! I will report this also to MSI, maybe there are other people with the same problem! Apparently, the only way to solve the problem is to use a graphic card(I can't afford it now since I am a worker-student, I hope I will soon). I will report to Intel too, thank you!

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello orsag,

Have you tried with the latest graphics version? Here is the link if you haven't try https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25484/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40].

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
FOrsa
Beginner

Hi Amy, I will give it go next week at work, where is that PC. At the moment I am on a discrete GC and the system is running fine. I hope for a functional IGC, though. Hope this will help even though I think it is more BIOS related (or both BIOS and driver), since in various live Linux distros the issue happens too (unless the drivers are the same for all systems, which I doubt).

0 Kudos
FOrsa
Beginner

Hi, so the new drivers did not solve the issue. As I said, I think it is probably BIOS related, unless the hardware is defective. The problem is that the issue can be caused either by the motherboard or CPU or memory... I do not have means to test, which one is true.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Let me know how it goes.

Regards.

0 Kudos
FOrsa
Beginner

Progress update: a new BIOS has been published, but it has not solved any of my issues, it actually added one more - the PC restarts itself once or twice a day.

0 Kudos
LTone
Beginner

Same here! BIOS 1.5 released, I tried it but it didn't solve anything! I tried to explain the problem in the MSI forum too, but they say there are bent pins(there are not, I checked!). Intel, can you do something for that?

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Have you (topax and orsag) tried to contact the Intel phone support in order to replace the processor? You can use our support options at http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Contact Support.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
LTone
Beginner

No, I haven't. Should I ask an RMA? @Amy_Intel

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Yes, contact the Intel phone support in order to check the replacement options for your Intel® Core™ i5-6600K Processor.

0 Kudos
FOrsa
Beginner

No, I have not contacted the support. I cannot tell wheather it is problem of the CPU, erven. After some trial and errors I have found out that memory might be the issue. Memtest showed many errors in one of the tests so I tried to investigate what was the issue. The solution was easy - turn on XMP in the BIOS and the memtest showed no errors at all now. Next week I want to try wheather it was the cause of the GPU problems, too. Obviously the board did not manage to run the memories with standard values. Besides, the GUI in the BIOS did not clearly show wheather the XMP was on or not (I thought I had turned it on first, the icons are so confusing...).

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

orsag, thank you for sharing your outcome. Please keep me posted in regard to your investigation.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
FOrsa
Beginner

Hello,

new findings: I updated my board to the latest BIOS (A30 from December 2015), updated to the latest Intel VGA drivers, I assured the memory is OK and the result is - IGC not working. However, the display is not flickering now, it is rather blanking out randomly for a few seconds or minutes, even. Another unpleasant finding is that the resolution over DVI cable is limited to 1920x1080. I am definitely going for an en external GC and not trying the IGC anymore as it is not worth the time.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

What driver version are you running?

0 Kudos
FOrsa
Beginner

I have installed driver version 20.19.15.4352.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

I have been running some tests based on your description but the issue did no occur, everything works fine in our systems.

When I suggested to contact the Intel phone support, did you contact us to check the replacement options?

0 Kudos