Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Can't Update Dell Latitude E4310 to Generic Intel Drivers

NGibs1
Beginner

I need to update the Intel HD Graphics driver from 8.15.10.2993, which is the latest driver available from the Dell website, to the Generic Intel Driver 15.X. I used the Intel update utility to discover what file was needed, which it identified as Win7Vista_15228.zip for my machine which is running Win7 SP1. It does the installation without error, but on reboot, the 8.15 driver remains. I've tried manually updating the driver, uninstalling and deleting the driver software and installing manually, but nothing works.

I'm pretty sure the issue is some enforcement from Dell somehow to make sure that only Dell drivers are used on this system. I've read through all the threads, but I can find a solution for this, other than a suggestion for modifying the .inf file but no explanation as to actually how to modify it. I've also downloaded multiple drivers from Intel to try as well, but depending on how I try to update I get a variety of errors that others have noted with proprietary laptops. One error is that the driver is not suitable for my operating system so be sure to get a 64bit version, even though it's obvious I'm installing a 64bit driver. The other error I get is your system doesn't meat the minimum specifications. Any help would be appreciated

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee
Hello Tobywankenobe, I would like to explain you that Original Equipment manufacturer systems (OEM) sometimes does not allow the installation of generic drivers, therefore customer are force to install the drivers provided by the system manufacture.When getting the system doesn't meet the minimum specifications error, you can try the following steps.You would need to download and install the following the driver and follow the installation instructions below explicitly to install it.Installation Instructions:1. Login with administrator privileges2. Open Control Panel3. Open Device Manager4. Click on "Display adapters"5. Double click "Intel HD Graphics"6. Click on the "Driver" tab7. Click on "Update Driver" button8. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software"9. Click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"10. Click on "Have Disk" button11. Click "Browse"12. Navigate to the folder that you unzipped the Beta Intel HD Graphics driver to13.Navigate to the Graphics sub-folder14. Double click the igdlh64.inf or igdlh.inf file <-- depends on if you have 32 or 64 bit OS</span>15.Click "OK"16. Click "Next"Driver should now be installing.17. If successful, click "Close"Reboot.Please let me know if this resolves the issue you are seeing.
NGibs1
Beginner

Thanks for your response Sylvia. You point out another problem I've been able to pick up from the threads, and that is the latest generic drivers from Intel do not have an igdlg64.inf file. In fact, the preferred driver the Intel Driver Update Utility identified which I downloaded as a zip has instead a kit51427.inf file. I downloaded multiple zip files that should also contain the correct drivers, and they as well only had kit*.inf files instead of an igd*.inf file. You did not provide a link to the driver I should install, but I certainly hope there is one.

I understand why OEM's would prefer to only allow drivers from them. However, this laptop is now out of warranty, and it would appear that I'm stuck with whatever drivers Dell deemed appropriate at the time the warranty ran out. That doesn't seem to be a good idea in terms of either performance or, more importantly, security. It's my hardware, provided by Intel, and I would like to install the latest drivers the good folk from Intel have developed for my laptop. I appreciate your help Sylvia.

Toby

0 Kudos