Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20634 Discussions

Intel (R) HD graphics 4000 update failure

LR3
Beginner

Hi

I'm having a major problem with my laptop's Intel (R) HD graphics 4000 drivers.

Order of events:

- purchased a new game, which suggested that I update my video cards

- I used the automatic windows driver update system for my Invidia and intel graphics hardware

- Upon re-starting the computer, all graphics settings had been lost, defaulting to 800x600, and my second monitor (vga cable) was not being reckognized at all

- I eventually got a pop up stating that updating of the drivers for the intel (r) HD graphics 4000 had failed

- upon examining the device, the only option available from the "general" tab was "reinstall drivers" which I did

- restarted again

- Same pop-up

- Upon going to the "drivers" tab for the component, it only allowed "uninstall" "disable", "update", options, "rollback drivers" was greyed-out

- I attempted another update

- same failure

- I eventually tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers

- upon uninstalling the drivers, the listing for the intel (r) HD graphics 4000 vanished from the hardware list

- I attempted to detect hardware

- A device called "video controller (VGA compatible)" has taken its place

I then spent the next 4 hours attempting to register for this support forum, since the registration page continually had its own "connection failure" message.

This is incredibly inconvenient, and shakes my faith in any intel products. There is no point in updating drivers if even attempting to do so cripples my entire computer set-up.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LR3
Beginner

Addition:

- I attempted another driver update

- Now, instead of just failing, it states "windows has determined that the most up to date drivers are already installed"

- it even identifies the device

- however when returning to the device manager listing, it still uses the generic title, and says that I must reinstall drivers

- I've tried rebooting, to no effect

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Please try updating the latest driver and let me know if you still have same problem.

Windows 732 bit:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24592&lang=eng&ProdId=3712 Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8/8.1 32-bit

Windows 7 64 bit

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24593&lang=eng&ProdId=3712 Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8/8.1-64-bit

Allan.

0 Kudos