Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

8.1 dont like old games graphic issues with many people ?

eeart
Novice

can someone give me a link of a contact where they can help me get fixes for a game because of graphic issues with 8.1 Intel 4000 hd ? its a common problem with two games alot of players who play the game so i thought i should see if i can speak with someone to get a fix to the problem. 95%of current new computers come with 8.1 with Intel HD 4000 also issues with Intel models with 8.1 is 4600 4400. Also the empire earth and expansion pack gamers face freezing with it to plus graphic issues like in the screen above.

win 8.0 intel 4000 was working fine with empire earth and aoc game but 8.1 we having so many problems trying to help people with graphic issues like posted in that screen shot i done please help or make a fix for it

Thanks for any help you can give us

22 Replies
eeart
Novice

This is one example of a empire earth player who`s screen shot of above i got it off this is his pc details

My grafic adapter is Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

i have lenovo G 700 64bit windows 8.1

Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi NeoEE,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems but let me provide the information.

Checking the information you have provided and the game information, I noticed that this game was created on 2001 meaning that the details of the software will not increase with the latest graphics controller or driver.

I regret to say, it does not necessarily means that an old game should be compatible with the latest graphics controller.

I recommend you contacting the Computer Manufacture so they can provide the correct driver for your system.

From our side you can try the official driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3712&DwnldID=23714 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3712&DwnldID=23714

0 Kudos
eeart
Novice

the company responsible about my computer,said that we are providing you with orginal drivers obtained from intel please reply back thanks

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

The drivers we have from our side are generic drivers for OEM computers. This is because Intel provides the hardware to the Computer Manufacture and they will design and create their own system with special features and limitations. They also are responsible for the drivers and software that comes along with the computer.

0 Kudos
eeart
Novice

anyway you guys can release a patch for intel 4000,4400,4600 so it allows people to play old games because atm anyone with any of them intel`s cant play empire earth or expansion pack

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Thanks for the feedback. I will pass this information but it is important to say that patches must be provided by the game developer.

0 Kudos
eeart
Novice

Yea problem is sierra have been closed for long time so they dont do no more development for old games we have brought back servers for the game we just have problems running the intel 4000,4400 and 4600 we have tried so many different way to try and fix but nothing works so we hope you can release a patch so people who have intel can change a setting to play older games without graphic issues.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

I totally understand your point. It is important to say that the game you have uses a Direct X version different than our drivers provide therefore the performance will not be expected unless a patch from the manufacture is provided to solve this compatibility issues.

0 Kudos
eeart
Novice

But problem is its intel graphic`s card so it will be abit crazy if i tell everyone who is facing similar problems to contact manufacture for a patch. Cant intel programming release a patch for old games because it seems sooner or later with the advances in drivers no one will be able to run old games without facing graphic issues. This will lose alot of customers from buying intel graphics card if it cant run the game you want to play. Please Help

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

As I mentioned before, it does not necessarily means that an old game should be compatible with the latest graphics controller. Your feedback has been sent to the corresponding department for future considerations but I am afraid to say that to say the fix is related to the game patch provided by the game developer.

0 Kudos
eeart
Novice

thanks for sending it to the department. What i dont understand is how come other graphic`s cards are all running fine its just the intel 4000,4400,4600 we have about 400 empire earth players but anyone who has them intel ones cant play thats why im confused

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

A similar problem seems to happen with other games - I get something very similar in The Operative: No One Lives Forever, along with screens that go completely black when some shader effects are used by the game (making it completely unplayable at these points).

This seems to be a problem with games using older versions of DirectX (pre-v9). Which are also the ones that aren't supported by the developers anymore.

But as stated by others here, these problems don't seem to occur with graphics chips from any other manufacturers, suggesting that the issue is with Intel's support for older DirectX games rather than with the games themselves.

Which is somewhat annoying, since these are some of the games that run flawlessly even on older Intel HD chips, and it would be nice to play some of these games on my current laptop, where I don't have the luxury of being able to install a discrete graphics chip.

EFair
Beginner

This problem is also happening with the awesome city-builder game that is SimCity 4, not just on Windows 8.1, but also with older versions of Windows with your graphics chips. SC4 may be an 11 year-old game but is still very much played and loved, and is still being sold even on Steam. Many people in the SC4 community consider it to be much better than the new version of SimCity, released in 2013, mainly because SC4 still has a vibrant modding community which has been keeping the game alive after all these years. So don't try and give me the knee-jerk response of "this is an old game; why should we care, and why are you playing something so old?".

To whoever is reading this at Intel, I'd like to direct your attention to Simtropolis.com, the largest site for the SC4 and SimCity 2013 community. Please take a look at http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/63341-intel-hd-2500-graphics-and-directx-rendering/# entry1488997 this thread in particular which someone goes into great detail about all the problems SimCity 4 has with your series of integrated graphics chips. I'm having the same problem as he is, so it is by no means an isolated problem. Look through the http://community.simtropolis.com/forum/5-sc4-bugs-technical-issues/ SC4 Bugs and Tech issues board on that forum and you will find tons of threads about people having graphics problems with Windows 8.1 and/or your integrated graphics. Could you please help us solve the problem? It really harms the playability of this great game.

I'd really appreciate your help in solving this graphics issue. Thanks!

fv1
Novice

I have exactly the same problem. Worked fine with the old drivers on windows 8, and when the new drivers installed, boom flickering screen.

9.17.10.2932 from 12/12/2012 worked like a charm...

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Thank you all for the feedback on this matter.

Can you try updating graphics driver to latest, updating the BIOS and running Microsoft updates? Also, getting a game patch will be a good step.

0 Kudos
MCha1
Beginner

Hello,

My graphics driver is updated : v 10.18.10.3621 for Intel(R) Graphics HD 4000

My BIOS is up to date.

Microsoft update do not propose me any update. (Windows 8.1)

My Empire Earth game is patched with latest version 2.0. http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/Patches-Updates-Games/EmpireEarthUpdates.html http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/Patches-Updates-Games/EmpireEarthUpdates.html

but still not working...

Thank you in advance for your response

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello all,

We have released a new driver for Haswell products (HD 4400, 4600, 5000, 5100, 5200). Here you have the download link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24245&lang=eng&ProdId=3719 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24245&lang=eng&ProdId=3719

We still recommend you updating the game. It is important to say that having and HD 4000 controller does not necessarily mean it will run older games due to the programming game code.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
JKhur
Beginner

Hi, Kevin.

I tried installing the drivers on my Windows 7 (64 bit) running Macbook Pro with Intel Iris 5001 graphics, the drivers you linked in your last reply, but it said "Operating System Not Supported". Do these drivers not Macs or what?

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

The thing is that Apple computers use special and customize drivers that are provided by Apple only so you need to contact them and request this software.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
LFern14
Beginner

Hi Kevin,

i have Intel HD Graphics 4000 and the same problem with the game Empire Earth. I' ve just downloaded the driver you posted and it don't work. Do you have a driver for the 4000 version?

Thank you

0 Kudos