Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

Centrino N 2200 (Lenovo X230) connection dropping after sleep mode

PHevr
Beginner

Hi, all. I have had an enormously frustrating experience with the Centrino N 2200. I have a Lenovo X230 and am running Windows 7 Pro.

The problem:

My WiFi connection drops when the computer returns from sleep mode and my general WiFi range is horrible. Any time the computer returns from sleep, I have to manually re-connect using Fn + F5. This is very time-consuming and frustrating. Moreover, the WiFi range is terrible. My desk is no more than 30 feet from the router and the wireless connection often drops. We have a Motorola Arris DG860 modem and router.

What I've done:

I've updated all drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled Lenovo's Access Connections, and changed my power settings to max (among many other potential software fixes). Nothing seems to help. Also "Allow the computer to turn off device ..." is NOT checked. "Allow this device to wake the computer" is grayed-out and not an option. Also, per other posts, 802.11n mode is disabled, Roaming Aggressiveness is set to lowest, Transmit Power is 5. highest, and wireless mode is 3. 802.11b/g. My laptop also has two Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapters. I have tried multiple times to uninstall these (per suggestions in another thread) and they keep coming back.

At any rate, I am at my wit's end with this network card (and laptop, in general) but I am hesitant to do any replacement work myself.

If anyone can help I'd be really grateful.

Thanks!

Parker

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi phevron, I want to ask:

• How good is the signal strength?
  • What security settings are you using? I wonder if this affects by testing with unsecured connection or perhaps a different router.

Intel® PROSet's Wireless Event Viewer may also be of help.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-025807.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Intel® Wireless Event Viewer

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-032726.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Driver wireless event viewer logging

You may also want to try updating your BIOS.

0 Kudos
PHevr
Beginner

Hi, Joe,

Thanks for the response.

The signal strength is pretty weak, especially at home. I am using Time

Warner Cable internet. Specifically, we have an Arris DG860 modem/router.

I'm not sure that security settings are the issue, as the connectivity problems

persist even when using unsecured connections in public places (like the

coffee shop in which I'm sitting right now).

Do you have experience with the Microsoft Wifi Virtual Miniport Adapter

causing problems with internet connectivity dropping after the laptop wakes

up from sleep mode? From what I've found online, this seems to be causing

an issue for lots of people. My problem is that I can't disable/uninstall

it permanently (even when typing commands in the Command Prompt as an

Administrator).

Thanks,

Parker

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

If the signal strength is weak everywhere you may have a problem with the antennas. Have you had the internal connection checked?

I do not think the Microsoft* WiFi Virtual Miniport Adapters are causing this issue; at least I have not read anything about it. I would believe that by having them (temporarily) disabled you could see if it makes a difference in the performance of your connection, that would make sense if these adapters were the cause of the issue.

0 Kudos
ddqos
Beginner

I have the same computer and the same problem... I've no idea why. I cant connect to some other wifi even though they all give me the limited connectivity problem at one point. It's really frustrating. I feel like ive tried everything.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I have sent PMs to both of you.

0 Kudos
PHevr
Beginner

Update: I finally decided that I'd had enough with the 2200 and ordered a Centrino 6205 card off with a Lenovo FRU number off eBay. Installation took about 20 minutes and I haven't had a single problem since. After months and months of trying and failing to fix the issues with the 2200, it looks like the best fix all along was simply to upgrade for $12.

0 Kudos