Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Euclid ROS is a subset of ros.org distribution only

CMock
Beginner

Why is Euclid ROS a subset of ros.org distribution only ?

I've noticed, that elementary ros packages are missing. e.g ros-kinetic-rtabmap_ros

Why is the original ros.org sources.list not used ?

Thanks for some feedback

Cheers

Chrimo

0 Kudos
7 Replies
CMock
Beginner

Euclid SDK: 395 ros-kinetic packages

ROS.org: 1574 ros-kinetic packages

Now my question: makes it sense to add original pos.org sources.list ?

What are the side effects ?

Suggestions welcome :-)

Cheers

Chrimo

0 Kudos
Meitav_K_Intel
Employee

Hi Chrimo,

It's a bit complicated, but the general idea is that RTABMAP and other packages are missing because we're using the same subset of packages that ARM devices are using (even though Euclid has an Intel CPU in it).

For RTAB specifically, I've already uploaded a project with a complete walkthrough for how to install and use RTABMAP right here: http://www.euclidcommunity.intel.com/static/tutorials/pdf/rtabmap.pdf http://www.euclidcommunity.intel.com/static/tutorials/pdf/rtabmap.pdf

Some of the other packages that are unavailable may not work properly on the Euclid, but if you have any specific packages you want to install let me know and I'll do my best to help you out!

Regards,

Meitav

Intel Euclid Development Team

0 Kudos
CMock
Beginner

Hi Meitav,

I'm able to port ros packages to Euclid, no problem, I've done it for many many NUC boxes before.

BUT: the idea of ROS, reusing a lot of interesting prebuild packages and the idea of Euclids easy to use UI is completely broken. Sorry.

My students should not have ssh access to the system, they shall learn the new amazing Euclid-UI-Way to do robotics. Managing packages and doing system maintenance is a job for Linux-Admins only :-)

Thanks for your friendly offers ;-)

Cheers

Chrimo

0 Kudos
Meitav_K_Intel
Employee

Hi Chrimo,

Thank you for your feedback, you are very correct. We'll have to see what we can do about adding the wider range of packages for the Euclid.

Our main goal is to have the Euclid support as many different use cases out of the box, and without having to be Linux experts.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Regards,

Meitav

0 Kudos
CMock
Beginner

Hello Meitav,

any news or decisions for this open issue ?

I'd like to hear good news, it's XMAS time :-)

Cheers

Chrimo

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Chrimo,

We are working with the Euclid development team to get an update. We will post one here once we have an update.

Thank you for your patience and understanding on this matter.

Best regards.

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
Meitav_K_Intel
Employee

Hi Chrimo,

I've checked with the team, and apparently the decision about which sources are available on the Euclid by default was made in consideration of kernel and support for these sources.

You may add whichever sources you want to your own sources.list , but because not all of those sources can be supported (our kernel is slightly different than linux 16.04), we can't add anything else by default.

Merry Christmas,

Meitav

0 Kudos