Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Euclid: apt-get update fails

CMock
Beginner

Hello community,

sudo apt-get update fails with broken appstream error.

Is there a solution from "Intel Euclid" available for this problem ?

In the meantime, I disable parts of /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50appstream as workaround.

# Refresh AppStream cache when APT's cache is updated (i.e. apt update)

# APT::Update::Post-Invoke-Success {

# "if /usr/bin/test -w /var/cache/app-info -a -e /usr/bin/appstreamcli; then appstreamcli refresh > /dev/null; fi";

# };

Thanks for more

Cheers

Chrimo

0 Kudos
11 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

AppStream is part of Ubuntu and helps Ubuntu to obtain 'metadata' about programs when a sudo apt-get update instruction is used. the link below has information about AppStream and a removal method if you choose to.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/775069/what-is-appstream-why-is-it-installed-what-is-it-doing What is AppStream? Why is it installed? What is it doing? - Ask Ubuntu

0 Kudos
CMock
Beginner

Hi MartyG,

I know this ;-)

I'm asking, because I bought a complete Euclid SDK bundle from Intel. At all my NUC systems with self installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Server and ROS , I've never noticed this problem.

I expect, your version from 4/2017 is a very early production built. Sorry to say.

Happy hacking with Euclid SDK.

Thanks for your friendly answer.

Cheers

Chrimo

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I'm not an Intel employee, so technically it's not "my" version, it's theirs. I take your point though.

It's the nature of PC software that you cannot test a product in the lab to work with every PC device, and sometimes you can only find out about a problem after release once the users report them. Yours is the first case I have heard of in regard to a RealSense product (though people experience AppStream errors for other reasons with non-RealSense products, of course). I understand though that even if one person is affected, it feels incredibly frustrating to that person.

The Euclid development team does read this forum and respond to questions, so one of them will likely comment later. I'll link one of them into this discussion though so that they see it, just to make sure. MeitavKleinfeld

0 Kudos
Meitav_K_Intel
Employee

Hi Chrimo,

I've done a lot of experimenting with apt-get, and at many times, once I've had my share of installs, update would start failing.

If you can share the error message you got, I might be able to help, but these errors are something you usually either have to hack through to solve, or completely reinstall Euclid (or whichever device you get the error with, but in this case Euclid) vanilla.

Euclid is running Ubuntu 16.04, and it should be a stable release.

Let me know what the error was so I can help debug it!

Regards,

Meitav

Intel Euclid Development Team

0 Kudos
CMock
Beginner

Hello Meitav,

I've noticed the problem right after the first try to do "sudo apt-get update", when I unboxed the brand-new Euclid box.

This is the reason for my question.

I bet no other beginners will have the problem, I have no problem with it, I'm using all kinds of Linux since the first announcement of Linus :-)

Thanks and cheers

Chrimo

0 Kudos
Meitav_K_Intel
Employee

Hi Chrimo,

Hmm that shouldn't have happened then. Out-of-the-box Euclid should be able to do all that. I saw that you've already received a link to the Euclid image, I'd recommend trying to reinstall it when possible to prevent further errors in the future.

And impressive!

Let me know if you need any further help regarding that.

Regards,

Meitav

Intel Euclid Development Team

0 Kudos
CMock
Beginner

Hello Development,

today my Euclid system crashed completely (after one week continous operation).

After reboot it mounts in read-only mode only.

I found via direct connection at console:

/usr/lib/update-notifier/update-motd-fsck-at-reboot: 33: /usr/lib/update-notifier/update-motd-fsck-at-reboot: cannot create /var/lib/update-notifier/update-motd-fsck-at-reboot: Read-only file system

mktemp: failed to create file via template '/tmp/setup.sh.XXXXXXX': Read-only file system

Could not create temporary file:

Nice game :-(

What are your suggestions ?

New install from iso image ?

Thanks for any idea.

Cheers

Chrimo

0 Kudos
CMock
Beginner

FYI: after fresh setup from ISO, the same problem with "sudo apt update" still exists.

It dumps :-(

After doing SWUpdate from UI and reboot the problem has gone completely.

Case closed for me :-)

Thanks and cheers

Chrimo

0 Kudos
XCres
Beginner

Hi Meitav,

I just wanted to let you know that I have also experienced the same problem with the Out-of-the-box setup.

Best regards,

Crespum.

0 Kudos
XCres
Beginner

Hi Chrimo,

I'm also experiencing the issue after fresh setup. Where do you update the software? In the web UI? I can't find that tab...

I'm trying to update because I can't open rviz. This is the message I get:

euclid@EUCLID_CC49:~$ rviz

[ INFO] [1508176296.715962917]: rviz version 1.12.4

[ INFO] [1508176296.716085205]: compiled against Qt version 5.5.1

[ INFO] [1508176296.716117117]: compiled against OGRE version 1.9.0 (Ghadamon)

QXcbConnection: XCB error: 148 (Unknown), sequence: 167, resource id: 0, major code: 140 (Unknown), minor code: 20

Segmentation fault

Has anyone encountered this problem?

Best regards,

Crespum.

0 Kudos
CMock
Beginner

ReHi,

yes, I know this problem.

I'm not 100% sure, but I managed it this way:

Change at Desktop-Level the setup of updates ... e.g. update security issues immediately

Additionally try ry this from cli:

$sudo apt install aptitude

$sudo aptitude update

$sudo aptitude upgrade

$sudo reboot

I did it more than 3 times now - after accu/charger failures. But this is a different story for Intel Euclid support.

Good luck

Chrimo

0 Kudos