Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

idata
Employee

I have been plagued by these events lately, resulting in system hang and power cycle.

I have RAID10, 3 x WD RE drives, ` x WD Red Pro, Gigabyte mobo, win 7.

Things i have tried:

• Replaced drive with reallocated sectors SMART error.
  • Switch power plan to high performance
  • Disabled Link Power Management inside Interl RST
  • Downgraded Intel RST to 15.7.0.1014 after previously upgrading to latest version.

I believe this all started when i installed latest RST version after not having updated RST for about 6 months or so.

Trouble is, i can't remember which version I was on prior to this.

The issue appears to happen after I leave the system idle for a few hours.

Also it looks like if I have a win 8 VMware Workstation VM running, issue is more likely to occur.

Today i am testing not having the VM running to see whether its related to the issue.

This is driving me crazy. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I have just now downgraded to the IRST version (14.5.0.1081) on the Gigabyte website. Maybe that will fix it.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello *Royce*,

Thank you for using the Intel(R) Communities. I understand the importance of having the system working properly for that reason I will be providing the proper support for this matter.

I would like to gather up some data related to this matter in order to have a clearer understanding of the scenario faced, please provide the following information to me:

• When are you getting that error message?
  • Where are you getting the messages?
  • What is the exact message received?
  • Please attach the System Report for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology to your answer

How to get the System Reports for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology?

Go to: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/technologies/000006351.html System Reports for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

Then create the report and attach it to your answer.

Thanks,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee
  • When are you getting that error message?

There doesn't appear to be any fixed pattern

• Where are you getting the messages?

In Event Viewer System Logs

• What is the exact message received?

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

• Please attach the System Report for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology to your answer

Note: since downgrading to the IRST version on the Gigabyte website I didn't have the problem yesterday.

Perhaps that was it?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the answer provided!

After checking the report provided I found the following:
  • The option ROM is outdated
  • There are Parity Errors and Blocks with media errors as well on the system

About the option ROM

It would be good to have it updated since it is recommended to have it matched with the Intel® RST driver version installed. To have the best possible configuration in terms of software (or install a 12.x version of Intel(R) RST).

Intel(R) RST driver installed: 14.5.0.1081

RAID option ROM version: 12.7.0.1936

This is to be updated with a BIOS update but the latest version is already installed as per Gigabyte's website, so it would be good to check with the motherboard manufacturer to find out if there is the option to get the option ROM updated.

About the Parity and Blocks with media errors

This can be a faulty drive on the array, I understand that you replaced one but maybe there can be another drive not working properly.

On the other hand, those errors could be related to that SMART error from the previous disk replaced.

In this case (where the errors are related to the SMART error on replaced disk), it would be required to clear the logs from the system, the Intel(R) boards had an option on the BIOS to do this, maybe you could check with your motherboard manufacturer to find out if an option like this is available on their side, after removing the logs you can run the report again and see if the errors (parity and media errors) are still reproduced on the system afterwards.

If the errors are still there after the logs are removed, then we can say there is another drive with problems on the array. If that happens we can do the following:
  • Remove 1 disk at a time from the array
  • Have that disk checked with health check software for the disk (from disk manufacturer)
  • Then adding the disk to the array again
  • Perform the tests once more

Notice: Since RAID 10 is a complicated configuration, it can fail, so please be aware data can be lost or the system can stop booting while doing the troubleshooting mentioned above (removing the disk and checking its health) so it is recommended to have the system's files backed up.

Thanks,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Esteban,

Thanks for your thorough reply. I see very little point in contacting Gigabyte as this is an old motherboard now and they haven't updated anything with it on their site. I have the latest BIOS and IRST versions posted on their site. Since downgrading to their IRST version I have not had the incident reoccur.

Note: Gigabyte do not have a 12.x IRST download on their site so downgrading my version isn't an option.

I have to assume that they tested the combination of BIOS option ROM with the software versions they publish on their site.

As to the media errors on the array, again I see no point in contacting Gigabyte to find the mechanism for clearing the logs as i'm sure its not something they would provide to end users.

All my RAID disks have 100% clean SMART data so there's no need to replace any of the drives.

These are WD RE (Data Centre) drives so should be very reliable.

I am sure these were caused by the faulty drive that has been replaced.

What is the impact of these errors?

Why can't the IRST software auto-correct these errors?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Update:

I have once again received the reset event twice today.

So it looks like the issue was not resolved by downgrading to the older Intel RST from Gigabyte website.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for reporting back

The errors present on the report can be reflected as errors on the drives.

This is a 12.x version of Intel(R) RST that should work with the system (SetupRST.exe is the file to download). Other versions 12.x can be found there as well.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23496/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-?product=55005 Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23496/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-?product=55005

I do understand the drives used are reliable but have you tried to check their health outside the array? It was mentioned they are 100% SMART error clear, may I know how was that checked?

Thanks,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Esteban,

I used smartmontools to check all the drives. Refer the attached reports.

Thanks for posting the link for 12.x IRST - i will try that version and see how it goes.

I have not heard anything from Gigabyte as yet.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Great, thank you for the information provided.

Lets test the system with the driver provided and see how it behaves.

Thanks,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have downgraded to 12.9.0.1001.

What about Link Power Management in both Intel RST and also windows power options?

Previously it was enabled in both, but as per some other blog about this issue, i disabled it in windows power options (switch to high performance power plan).

I also then disabled in in Intel RST just for good measure.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I ran Verify and the Blocks with media errors remains at zero.

Many thanks for your assistance!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

FYI, Gigabyte responded with suggesting i reinstall the OS and move to windows 10!

Here is what they said:

Based on our record, various users have upgraded O.S. to Windows 10 and see no issue with drivers from our site.

If you are good with current IRST 12.X driver, then you can stay at current build.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the answer provided, Royce.

I am glad to hear the Intel(R) RST driver version 12.9.0.1001 helped with the problem.

If you happen to face further questions in the future, feel free to contact us back.

Thank you,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Estaban,

You have been of great assistance on this issue. One last thing if you wouldn't mind, could you please comment on link power management?

Comments written above:

What about Link Power Management in both Intel RST and also windows power options?

Previously it was enabled in both, but as per some other blog about this issue, i disabled it in windows power options (switch to high performance power plan).

I also then disabled in in Intel RST just for good measure.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the good comments, Royce, they are much appreciated!

I apologize that I forgot to comment on that!

When you said the issue was fixed, did you have the feature enabled or disabled? That is to have a clear understanding of the configuration you have after getting this fixed, and proceed accordingly.

Thanks,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I disabled link power management before i downgraded IRST version.

I believe the IRST version is the important factor here.

But I am not sure of the impact link power management would have on stability.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I understand, and what happens when you re-enable the Link Power Management? It should not affect stability.

Thanks,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Royce,

This is to do a follow up on your inquiry and find out if you have further questions as well.

Thanks,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Esteban,

I believe the maximum performance is attained when link power management is disabled so i decided to leave it that way.

As i run multiple VMs on this machine, i want maximum performance from the RAID and do not care about a little extra power consumption.

Many thanks for all your assistance.

The machine is very stable now,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I would like to thank you for the answer provided and the understanding of this matter, *Royce*

I am glad to hear the system is working as desired right now. Feel free to contact us back if required.

Thanks,

Esteban C
0 Kudos