Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

i7-7820x not boosting further than 4.0Ghz (New Build)

npolu
Novice

Build:

i7-7820x

H115i AIO

Asus ROG Strix E-Gaming motherboard

Asus Strix 980ti OC Edition GPU

EVGA 850 G3 PSU

32GB G Skill TridentZ DDR4

960 Pro M.2 SSD 512GB (Windows 10)

Thermaltake View 71 TG Case

Hello, I am having this issue with my CPU not boosting to what its supposed to and currently my PC isnt running to well either.

Everything stutters/lags. Programs, Games my whole computer feels sluggish. Its a brand new build and I am lost.

I did attempt to overclock my CPU yesterday, started at a base point of 4.5Ghz @1.25v. Ran AIDA 64 for 10 minutes and the temps reached 91*C. I reduced the voltage to 1.2v and ran AIDA 64 again. The temps dropped to 78*C Max. I then decided to try out Cinebench R15 and at the end of the benchmark the temperature of my CPU hit 104*C. Very hot but for only a few seconds and the benchmark was over, scored 1818. But my computer wasnt running so well afterwards. So I decided to reset my overclock back to factory settings and my computer isnt running so well still. I benchmarked again afterwards on factory settings and it scores 1660-1684 still but my CPU doesnt go past 4.0Ghz.

Did I ruin my CPU when it reached 104*C on Cinebench R15? Why wont my CPU boost to 4.5Ghz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology 3.0?

Things Ive tried: Reinstalling ITBT 3.0, Windows update, NVIDIA Driver update, BIOS update, CMOS Battery reset, BIOS default reset x4, Checked Power Options set to Performance, Ran Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool (Passed).

I am ready to do a fresh Windows 10 install at this point. Any other suggestions on why this would be happening?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

TSGoofy: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Processors communities. We are sorry to hear the processor is not working as expected.

In regard to your inquiry, remember that altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications.

The processor base frequency is 3.60 GHz and the Max turbo boost frequency is 4.30 GHz, but the max turbo frequency works automatically depending on the load of work on the PC at that specific moment, so is the processor itself that decides when to reach that value. Oveclocking the unit to 4.5GHz is actually a big change for the processor so the high temperatures are expected:

https://ark.intel.com/products/123767/Intel-Core-i7-7820X-X-series-Processor-11M-Cache-up-to-4_30-GHz https://ark.intel.com/products/123767/Intel-Core-i7-7820X-X-series-Processor-11M-Cache-up-to-4_30-GHz

The fact that the processor passed the Intel® PDT test is actually really good, it indicates that it should be working fine, however since it reached 104 °C some features on it might not be working as they should. Since you already tried most of the steps we recommend for this scenario, the next thing to do, if you have the option of course, will be to swap parts, either to test your processor on a different board or test your board with a different processor.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
npolu
Novice

The option to swap parts out would be very difficult for me as I dont know anyone else around me with this chipset. If I was to put it into another MB and it works fine, how would I go about fixing the problem for myself? You mention I did 'most' of the troubleshooting, any other suggestions?

EDIT: Reinstalling Windows 10 fixed my problem, Not sure what exactly went wrong but everything runs perfectly now.

0 Kudos