Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20621 Discussions

Graphics card installation

RBarn3
Beginner

I have a Dell computer with a onboard graphics card that is under rated for the video res i want for gaming solution i need. So I ordered a gaming card for the PCI slot on the MB....How do I go about the installtion to disable the onboard Intel chip and reinstall the card in the PCI slot.........In the bios it shows either run the on board chip or both...I'm guessing that if i select both that the other card in the PCI slot will take over after the drivers are installed...WHAT TO DO???????

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello Ron,

I don't know what is model of your computer , but usually you shall enter bios settings: Advanced->Video Configuration and set the correct value in Primary Display Adapter field (i.e. PCI or PCI-E), depending of type of the PCI slot you have. In addition on the same bios setting page look for field: Primary Video Adapter and set it accordingly.

Hope this helps

Leon

0 Kudos
RBarn3
Beginner

It just says under video> on board or both..... that's all it says in the bios...and the Dell computer is a Inspiron 3668 , I5 proccesor ..cunfuseing,,,,,,

lw1948 wrote:

Hello Ron,

I don't know what is model of your computer , but usually you shall enter bios settings: Advanced->Video Configuration and set the correct value in Primary Display Adapter field (i.e. PCI or PCI-E), depending of type of the PCI slot you have. In addition on the same bios setting page look for field: Primary Video Adapter and set it accordingly.

Hope this helps

Leon

All it says in the Bios is> on board or Both..under the display settings....Maybe this will change after I put in the PCIe card in the slot...Maybe then I will have a real selection of one or the other...You think? The Dell computer is a model 3668...I5 proccessor.

What do you think?

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Ron,

I'm trying to help, although I think that your question shall be addressed in DELL support. I was trying to find some bios description for your computer, but I didn't success. Any way I founded some video on youtube and the guy is saying (in 30") that in bios you shall enter the Security Settings and disable the Safe Boot. Now both video cards will be recognized by Windows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHvDXfIpfss Graphics card upgrade dell inspiron i3 GPU PSU - YouTube

One thing more - ensure that your Power Supply have enough power to supply your additional Card.

Leon

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Leon's information is all good. I will add that, when you select Both, the BIOS will check for a add-in video card. If one is detected, then it is made the Primary adapter (and the monitor(s) should be connected to this card's video connectors). If one is not detected, then the internal Intel HD Graphics is made the Primary adapter (and the monitor should be connected to the motherboard's video connectors). If, on the other hand, you select Onboard, the BIOS will ignore any add-in video cards (and the monitor should be connected to the motherboard's video connectors)

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
RBarn3
Beginner

Nevermind I installed it....Works GREAT!!!! When card was put in the bios gave me the option to pick which card I wanted to use.....Soooooooooo simple!!!! So then it asked me to disable the Intel drivers and Install the new card drivers!!! It all worked out so easily....Been a long time since I worked on computers but it all came back to me on this one....NOW I CAN STREAM videos and run games!!! Then Intel chip just didn't have the umph!!!!

I installed aGeforce 1080 T with Nvida drivers!!!

Tnx for trying to help!!!

Ron

0 Kudos