Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

I can not install Windows 7 on the HP EliteBook 820 G4 Notebook PC

СДеми
Beginner

I can not install Windows 7 x64 on the HP EliteBook 820 G4 Notebook PC. No driver 256 GB M.2 SATA TLC SED SSD

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Dema84,

Thanks for contacting Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (Intel® RSTe) support forum, in regards to install Windows* 7 x64 on your machine, since your computer it's a laptop the first recommendation that we can provide you it's to contact your equipment manufacturer for the appropriate drivers and support, that's because most of the OEMs introduce features and characteristics to their equipment that could not be covered by generic drivers.

You can contact HP* Support on this website: https://support.hp.com/us-en/ https://support.hp.com/us-en/

Also, in regards to your case; would be great if you please let us know of any error or message that you receive on your equipment, if it's related to the Intel RST software to help you determine with more detail what could be preventing you to install the OS or why the drive it's not detected.

Please remember that if you require more assistance or want to add additional details, we'll be glad to assist you

Regards,

Chris.
0 Kudos
СДеми
Beginner

The problem is that I have already contacted the HP and here is their answer.(

Re: I can not install Windows 7 on the HP EliteBook 820 G4 Notebook PC Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Laptops especially contain specialized hardware for which, for full functionality, specialized drivers are required -- and these come ONLY from the OEM, in this case, HP. Your PC came preinstalled with Windows 10. If you remove or overwrite the original Win10 on your PC with Win 7, you are going to encounter serious problems as there are no HP Win7 drivers for the new hardware that comes with new machines.

MS supplies drivers that provide only basic functionality. This means that some of the hardware functionality is likely NOT to work if you force a downgrade. That includes functions like the touchpad, WiFi, switchable graphics, USB ports -- to name the functions commonly reported here.

That said, someone else might come along and point you to Win7 drivers for other model PCs that that will work with yours -- but if that does not happen, you will then be stuck with a PC with limited functionality as HP is not writing Win7 drivers for their new Win10 PCs.

This is due to the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise (Intel® RSTe) when installing Windows 7 from 64 it requests a driver but not one driver is suitable. Why and how it can be solved. Here is this notebook HP EliteBook 820 G4 Notebook PC (Z2V93EA)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Dema84,

Thanks for your reply and in regards to this issue and based on the information that you've received and cited from the HP* Forums, due to the model of your machine and the characteristics of it, you'll need to be aware that it's possible that different components (WiFi, Bluetooth*, Touchpad, etc.) will not work if you force an OS downgrade from Windows* 10 to Windows* 7x 64.

Currently the reported driver available for your machine on the HP* Support website it's the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (non-Enterprise) version 15.2.3.1031, available at:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-elitebook-820-g4-notebook-pc/11122281/swItemId/ob-191061-1 https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-elitebook-820-g4-notebook-pc/11122281/swItemId/ob-191061-1

Since your equipment doesn't support Intel® RSTe version, the best way to help you will be to move this thread to the appropriate forum, in this case the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology community to further assist you.

Please remember that if you require more assistance or want to add additional details, we'll be glad to assist you

Regards,

Chris.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, Windows 7 is not supported on 7th generation processors and corresponding chipsets and other components. Intel is not supporting anything but Windows 10 on this silicon. While it is possible to find some driver packages that happen to also support Windows 7, this will generate a far from complete solution. In the case of laptops that rely on Intel HD Graphics, there is no Windows 7 driver for this solution at all (you would most likely be stuck with the standard VGA driver).

Secondly, Windows 7 was produced long before the advent of NVMe and thus does not contain any support for it. A few vendors -- Samsung and Toshiba (OCZ) -- provide a Windows 7 driver package that adds this support, but only for their drives. The remainder of the vendors rely upon built-in drivers - which, of course, are not there for Windows 7. Microsoft has a package that purports to back-port the Windows 10 driver to Windows 7, but I have not heard of anyone presenting this package in a form that will allow it to be used during the Windows 7 installation process (if someone has generated such a package, please chime in; I am interested in it too!).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
СДеми
Beginner

Thank you very much. For a detailed and detailed answer. Now everything is clear. Eyes opened) Once again I thank.

0 Kudos