Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 driver & program keep installing itself

FSanc3
Beginner

Hi there,

This have been going on since a few weeks now and kinda annoying, so hopefully someone here at Intel will be able to help.

I have a Intel 6800 CPU which I have installed in my new Strix x-99 motherboard. I do not want or need to use the Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 driver nor program. I have even disabled that "unknown device" in device manager to avoid windows to install that driver in any update. Problem is, one day when booting my computer I had the TBMT all installed like if I did it myself, even showing in the Windows starting menu as "new installed program". The way I noticed the install is that a message pops up on my screen after the computer boots saying that TBMT crashed and need to close. So I close it, go uninstall it again, then reboot my machine and go to disable the "unknown device" again in device manager. Then, around a week after when booting my computer, same thing happens. TBMT shows all installed but crashing right away. I then have to repeat the uninstall process.

This is getting quite annoying, so if there is another way to stop that TBMT from installing itself, please let me know.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello Orcatrainer,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

You can disable the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 from the BIOS (if the option is available - contact Asus for information), in that way, Windows shouldn't be able to install/update any driver related to Intel® ITBM as the device associated with it wouldn't be detected by the OS.

If you keep on having the issue, you can check the following article from How To Geek:

https://www.howtogeek.com/263851/how-to-prevent-windows-from-automatically-updating-specific-drivers/ How to Prevent Windows from Automatically Updating Specific Drivers - How To Geek

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Hope this information helps.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

JC

View solution in original post

6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Orcatrainer,

You can disable the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 from the BIOS (if the option is available - contact Asus for information), in that way, Windows shouldn't be able to install/update any driver related to Intel® ITBM as the device associated with it wouldn't be detected by the OS.

If you keep on having the issue, you can check the following article from How To Geek:

https://www.howtogeek.com/263851/how-to-prevent-windows-from-automatically-updating-specific-drivers/ How to Prevent Windows from Automatically Updating Specific Drivers - How To Geek

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Hope this information helps.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

JC
FSanc3
Beginner

Thank you for you fast and useful response. Found out it was indeed windows updates that was trying to install this driver all the time by itself. Blocked it using the group policies editor in Windows 10, and all seems to work fine now.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Orcatrainer,

I am glad to hear it worked.

Please don't hesitate in contacting us back if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
VGome3
Beginner

Hi, I'm having the same issue. Could you say how you managed to block the update of Intel TBMT from re-installing?

0 Kudos
FSanc3
Beginner

Just follow the link from "how to geek" above, about editing the group policies in Windows.

Works perfectly.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello thxne,

I wanted to know if you were able to resolve the issue?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

JC
0 Kudos