Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20629 Discussions

Firefox random but frequent black window

JKelm
Beginner

For the last month or two I have an issue where the latest versions of Firefox randomly will turn the whole window black including the tabs and address bar (although you can still vaguely see a little of their outline). While this is happening I can still blindly find and copy urls from the address bar. I have googled and this seems to be a common issue with no particular fix. This can happen with one tab open very early on in the browsing session or it can happen after a long browsing session with multiple tabs open - it doesn't seem related to stress or particular websites. Sometimes the during the onset of this issue I can still see the minimise/maximise/close buttons and if I minimise then bring window back up it clears it and I can continue on but most of the time the black stays and I have to close and reopen Firefox. I don't have a screenshot at the moment but I should be able to capture one and add it however it's very similar to what you see if you look at Google Image Search for 'firefox black screen' - it's mostly just black, not a whole lot to see anyway

I have tried disabling "Use hardware acceleration when available" in Firefox however the issue still occurs sometimes and also the performance of Firefox drops on more intensive pages. I have tried using the latest version of the HD 530 graphics driver from my motherboard manufacturers website (WIN64_21.20.16.4541) and I have also tried the latest driver from intel (win64_21.20.16.4627) and the issue is the same with both drivers. Before installing the drivers I have uninstalled the old ones using the Display Driver Uninstaller software from MajorGeeks while running Windows in Safe Mode. I use Chrome also but the issue does not occur there and the performance of the browser is fine, however I prefer Firefox's look and feel with the classic search bar.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%):

Often (51-99%): X

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

custom build. intel i3 6100 (3.70GHz)

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

intel HD 530

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

EFP - Kogan 27" Cinema Display WQHD 2560x1440 IPS LED

<span style="font-size: 10pt; font...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello hetzjagd,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

I tried to replicate the issue using the following:
  • Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor (with Intel® HD Graphics 530) and graphics driver version 15.45.16.4627 (Latest)
  • Asus Z170 Deluxe motherboard.
  • Fresh installation of Windows® 10 64 Bit
  • Firefox version 51.0.1
However; I was unable to replicate it.

Since the issue you are having is only with Firefox and its latest versions, I would recommend contacting https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Contributor-Knowledge-Base/Get-community-support/ta-p/26357 Firefox Community.

Hope this information helps.

Best Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hetzjagd,

I was reviewing this thread and I wanted to know if you resolved the issue or if you contacted Firefox for support.

Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
JKelm
Beginner

Hi JC

Sorry for the slow reply. The issue has not reoccurred recently although I am not entirely sure if it is fixed or waiting to happen again. One potential cause that I and others have noticed is leaving the browser open for long sessions and I've been doing that over the course of a couple of days to try stress test it and so far it has worked which is positive. I contacted Mozilla/Firefox but it's somewhat of a long running known issue across various different configurations of hardware and the thread about it can be found here https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1163440 1163440 - random graphics corruption "screen turns black"

Currently I'm on Firefox 53 so perhaps they fixed it between the version I was on when I posted and now. I also have Use Hardware Acceleration turned on in the browser settings and I have the same setting turned off in the settings for Flash. I'm still using the win64_21.20.16.4627 driver provided directly from intel instead of my motherboard manufacturer's website. Hopefully that might help someone else that is having this issue.

At this stage you may as well mark the thread as resolved but I don't think we have any sort of answer I'm afraid.

Thanks for following up and trying to recreate the issue

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hetzjagd,

Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear the issue seems to be gone now.

Please don't hesitate in contacting us if you need further assistance.

Regards,

JC
0 Kudos