Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14510 Discussions

6600k 100% Utilization at idle ?

JRoqu
Beginner

Good afternoon

I've been having some issue recently with what seems to be my CPU for about week now and I can't figure out what the issue seems to be. I built my desktop from Newegg about 6 months ago and up until today, things have been running great. I originally started noticing that my CPU cooler the corsair h100iv2 ramp up in fan speed when I would just be regularly browsing the internet but, I didn't pay much attention to it because I have my fans set or a curve to power up when it starts to get a little hot in my office. Well, today I tried to play some games while and watch a youtube video at the same time something I do usually when I'm using my computer which never gave me any issues in the past because I built the computer to multitask/game. Well, my performance started to slow down drastically where I would normally get around 120 frames per second in the game I was playing I only got around 40 with spikes up and down. Youtube was running very slow and the frames also lagged. I started getting worried so I shut down the game and check my system vitals though Task Manager and, a 3rd party software. With the game shut down and all over background applications closed I was still getting a CPU utilization of around 70% when I checked the processes I didn't see anything that was demanding that much performance from my CPU and the processes that were running(Chrome Browser and Task manager) had a combined draw of about 20% usage plus the system and windows background stuff but, nothing to really be pushing my CPU to the limit as such. I decided maybe a drivers was bad so I opened up device management and updated all my drivers for my motherboard bios, GPU Drivers, Audio, Network etc. etc. and restarted my computer. To my surprise, nothing changed! after boot, I launched task manager and still the same issue! High CPU usage with no application running other than windows utility drivers.

My system specs:

Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.50GHz

Number of Physical Cores: 4

Installed System Memory: 16 GB

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Graphics Information: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

System Product: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z170

System BIOS: F20

3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello PaladinIRL!,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

Can you please provide the following information to better assist you?

The speed of the RAM (as seen in the BIOS):

Power plan selected (balanced, power saver or high performance):

Have you tested https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode booting the system in safe mode? If yes, does the problem persists?

Can you please confirm whether you have an Intel® Core™ i5-6600 Processor or an Intel® Core™ i5-6600K Processor?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

JC

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello PaladinIRL!,

I was reviewing this case and I wanted to know if you need further assistance.

If so, please don't hesitate in replying to this post and provide the information requested before.

Best Reards,

JC
0 Kudos
CVink
Beginner

Hey i have made my own thread about this already but I could actually use your help still on this subject

Here is a link to my post:

0 Kudos