Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

HM67 support for gen 3

DDien
Beginner

Hello,

so i've got Dell XPS 17 l702x (See the summary in a photo below)

As you can see, i have Intel Core i5 2430M @ 2.40GHz. 

Here's the info of my motherboard:

ManufacturerDell Inc.Model0K4H3G (CPU)VersionFAB1Chipset VendorIntelChipset ModelSandy BridgeChipset Revision09Southbridge VendorIntelSouthbridge ModelHM67Southbridge RevisionB3BIOSBrandDell Inc.VersionA19Date2012.09.07

Here's the thing, i would like to get i5-3210m cpu instead of i5-2430m(installed right now).

CPU's can be changed, but can my motherboard and BIOS support that Ivy bridge processor?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Here are the three (yes, 3) processors compared:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/53450,65708,67355 Intel® Product Specification Comparison

The reason why is the i5-3210m is available in two different sockets.

For a processor upgrade, the new processor must be socket, BIOS, and chipset compatible. Only DELL can tell you what processors are supported by THEIR BIOS. So, you must contact DELL for the answer.

Looking at the performance specs, I personally see no reason to upgrade. Your performance increase will be negligible.

If you are doing the upgrade for the graphics, then maybe, but still not significant. But, you will at least be supported on Windows 10.

If you do proceed with the upgrade, and Windows 10 takes the new processor without a reinstall or burp, please report back with the results.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Enthusiast,

According to your chipset model, these are the compatible processors; http://ark.intel.com/products/52809/Mobile-Intel-HM67-Express-Chipset Mobile Intel® HM67 Express Chipset Product Specifications, click on "Compatible Products". The processor you are interested in upgrading to is not listed there; however, just like mentioned before the best thing to do is to get in contact with Dell; they should be able to provided a CPU compatible list for your particular model.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/113386 Enthusiast, if you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos