Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

Why is my Acer Iconia W510 with Intel GMA 3650 not suitable for Windows 10?

RDick3
Beginner

I`m faced with a situation that is really strange for me. More than 30 years ago I started my computer realtion with DOS,then MS-DOS, an dlater on all Windows versions. I never experienced more than easily unsolvable compatibility issues due to what I thought, I always used Intel processors and Intel chips on the several generations of mainboards The lifetime period of my several laptop, notebook, and desktop computers was ~ 6-7 years.

2013 I bought an Acer Iconia W510 (convertible,Atom CPU,GMA3650)

After several weeks of accepting my computer as suitable for Windows 10 the upgrade tool now states that it is not ok for Windows 10 due to the graphic card .

[NB: Acer considers the computer to be an tablet with the result that warranty is only 1 year.

This is well done, because since beginnig of this year the touch panel has a defect and I can use the keyboard only 😞 ]

Can this be true? After 2 years only my PC cannot be upgraded to an modern OS version due to graphic compatibiltiy issues.

Is there a technical reason or is it simply too expensive to rewrite the current driver for Windows 10?

For future investments I will take this and AMD also into account.

Best regards

Rainer

0 Kudos
9 Replies
CRdgz
Beginner

I have the same problem with my Asus VivoTab smart. I have the message that I can't update to windows 10. In other forums Intel say that this graphic was made for windows 7, but the companies are using it to sell tablets and laptops with windows 8... so who is lying? Are Asus and Intel really telling me that I have a ONE YEAR PRODUCT and I can't update to windows 10? THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE!

0 Kudos
dgibb4
Beginner

i forced an upgrade using the following

http://www.myce.com/news/registry-hack-allows-installing-windows-10-on-atom-based-windows-8-tablets-76968/ http://www.myce.com/news/registry-hack-allows-installing-windows-10-on-atom-based-windows-8-tablets-76968/

the gma driver is the same as windows 8.1

i have since received 2 updates of windows 10. so far only problems are learning windows 10

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

The Intel(R) GMA 3650 is not supported under windows 10, this information is available here: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intelgma3600/sb/CS-034806.htm Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 Series — Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 Series FAQ

Allan.

RDick3
Beginner

Thank you Allan, but I asked for a reason. You're just telling an unknown, but huge number of customers that Intel might finish the support of a common used product whenever the label of this product changes. Please make this very clear in Intel's advertisements e.g. 'Windows 10 only'.

Please think about it.

Rainer.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for your feedback. I am sure this will clear all the doubts about windows 10 support on Intel(R) GMA 3650.

Allan.

0 Kudos
CRdgz
Beginner

Thanks allan_intel.

But what I'm trying to say is that, as you perfectly say in the information of the link:

Why has Intel not provided Windows® 10 drivers for Intel® GMA 36xx series?

Intel® Atom™ processor (formerly code named Cedar Trail) based entry notebook and entry desktop PCs were designed and validated to support Windows 7. Windows 10 is not supported on this platform but is supported on newer Intel platforms.

So, it was designed to support Windows 7, but a lot of people (me included) bought a computer with Windows 8 and this processor. So... Am I buying something with no support since the beggining? Of course is Asus fault (and other companies that are selling this windows 8 - intel processor combination) but intel shouldn't allow that becuase is your product!

I'm so dissapointed...

0 Kudos
MSzwe1
Beginner

The level of contempt Intel has for it[s customers is amazing to say the least.

What kind of answers are you giving. Why don[t you answer honestly the question being asked. Are you so afraid of the truth?

Just tell already why you will not support Z2760 series

0 Kudos
RDick3
Beginner

After looking into several other threads related with this topic my decision is certain.

There is no technical reason, but a commercial interest to force a huge number of customers to make new investments in new computer systems.

OK, I will do this, but with a frustrated search for alternatives, and I have an elephant-like memory.

Good by Intel.

0 Kudos
GCame1
Beginner

We have sold lots of Shuttle X50 PCs to customers (with GMA3650) who now want to upgrade to Windows 10 and can't. WE are getting the flack from our customers for what seems to be a poor decision by INTEL. A couple of customers are demanding their money back!!!

0 Kudos