Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

Problems with Windows 10 Upgrade?

idata
Employee

I have a G3240 3.1 GHZ 3MB Cache LGA1150 processor on a MSI H81M P32L motherboard running Windows 7 Pro.

Although the original Windows 10 App approved this PC for updating to Windows 10, when trying to upgrade, this fails with the following message:

WINDOWS 10 CANNOT RUN ON THIS COMPUTER, PROCESSOR DOES NOT SUPPORT NX

As far as I can establish this processor does support NX bit. Microsoft does not seem to be able to assist. Can anybody on this forum help??

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi Rguevara,

Problem solved, it was a setting ion the BIOS "Non Execute Bit" Needed to be disabled.

Got this after a long thread on the MSI forum:

Link if you are interested:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=259685.new;topicseen Problem with Windows 10 upgrade

Windows 10 now installed and running, many thank to you and the other contributors for all the help and advice!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Ronny_G_Intel

Hi Joevan,

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble updating to Windows* 10. I would recommend that you check with the manufacturer of your system if it is compatible with Windows* 10. In regards to your CPU, please check the following web site: http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-035705.htm http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-035705.htm. Based on the Microsoft website, all 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster Intel® Processors will support Microsoft Windows® 10.

The processor alone does not determine Window 10 compatibility. There are other considerations like the system BIOS, network cards, graphics, and other system components that come into play. For systems running Windows 7* or Windows 8.x*, there is an application available from Microsoft that will tell you if your system is compatible.

On the other hand, to test for PAE, NX, and SSE2, download a program called "CPU-Z" and run it. Look under the "Instructions" heading for SSE2, EM64T (which also indicates the processor supports PAE) and either VT-d or VT-x, which is required for NX support. If you have all 3, then you are good to go. Your processor should support all these technologies, see ARK for more information http://ark.intel.com/products/80796/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G3240-3M-Cache-3_10-GHz http://ark.intel.com/products/80796/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G3240-3M-Cache-3_10-GHz.

My next recommendation is to check on your system BIOS you will need to look for the NX setting, it is usually under the 'Advanced Configuration' menu, but every BIOS is different so look for something similar. Also note that NX (no execute bit) can be named differently so check for the option description in the BIOS, some names could be EDB (Execute Disabled Bit), Execute Disable Memory Protection, EVP (Enhanced Virus Protection), and No Execute Memory Protect.

...and please send me a screenshot or the error message so that this is very visible on this forum.

I hope this help and please share your results.

Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Rguevara,

Thank you for your response.

Please see attached screenshot where you will see that according to the original Microsoft update app check, my computer passed their requirements. Also result from CPU-Z which also confirms processor OK.

Prior to attempting install disconnected all extra hardware left only the boot drive as well as uninstalling anti-virus program and disabling all other startup programs.

Unfortunately cannot attach screenshot with the failure message after trying the windows update using the Media creation tool from Microsoft (Also tried to install from the ISO file download) but it reads:

This computer cannot run Windows 10

Processor does not support NX

There are no other error codes with this message.

The shop that assembled this PC cannot offer any help other than to state that it should run Windows 10.

There is no setting in the BIOS applicable to any pf the items you mention however if I ask for Processor Specs it states NX = Yes (see attached)

I have also updated to the latest BIOS and checked all drivers on the PC to ensure that they are the latest updates.

Very Frustrating!!

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel

Hi Joevan,

Try the following:

Within Windows go to My Computer->Advanced System Settings->Advanced (tab)->Performance (settings button)->Data Execution Prevention

Tick the bottom option (so turn it off for all applications) restart and try the upgrade again.

You can enable it again once the install is complete.

Let me know the results.

...nice cats by the way.

Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Rguevara,

See attached, don't see an option to turn of DEP completely?

BTW The cat Photo's are In Memoruim Stray cat that moved in and lived with me for 18yrs passed away two years ago, one of a kind!!

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel

Hi Joevan,

Was the first option (Turn on DEP essential Windows programs and services only) originally enabled in your system? I see that ticked on your sreenshot. I just wonder if you selected it. If not, can you enable this one and try again? I am still investigation and wont give up easily.

...18 years for a cat is remarkable.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi rguevara,

Yes the first option was enabled originally. I assume this to be the default, as I have never changed this.

Of interest see attached Txt File detailing processor specifications after running HWInfo32.

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel

Hi Joevan,

While I am still investigating, it occurred to me that maybe you can check with the board manufacturer MSI* if your system board BIOS (Board: H81M P32L) has any setting that allows you to enable/disable NX. I still beleive this could be a misconfigured BIOS setting.

Could you try that?

Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Rguevara,

Problem solved, it was a setting ion the BIOS "Non Execute Bit" Needed to be disabled.

Got this after a long thread on the MSI forum:

Link if you are interested:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=259685.new;topicseen Problem with Windows 10 upgrade

Windows 10 now installed and running, many thank to you and the other contributors for all the help and advice!!

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel

Hi Joevan,

I am glad to hear that you were able to fix this issue and thanks a lot for sharing.

Regards,

0 Kudos