Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

Software compatibility w.r.t new processors

idata
Employee

My machine has an Intel Core2 Duo. I am in process of buying another machine.

Will my existing applications, Win OS, Virtual Machines(VMWare) work fine on the new machine if it contains Core2 Quad or a Corei7 Quad? Or in other words, is the difference between processors only related to performance or can there be a software compatibility issue?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

Our processors are software independent, meaning that you can run any application on it, howerver I would recommend contacting the applicatioon or operating system developer for more compatiblity information, keep in mind that the operating system and applicaton developers are the ones that determine the hardware requirements for the software that they design.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

ALthough mainly true it is not entirely true. I say this regarding virtual machines, vmware and the likes. Some of teh Intel CPUs have VT and VT/D enabled some do not. Depending on which Virtual OS software/OS you are going to use to create and manage your virtual machines you may need at least VT if not VT/D too. Just make sure what is require by the software/os and then check on http://ark.intel.com/ whether the CPU has it or not.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the reply.

But if we talk of moving to a newer version of processor, can it pose an issue?

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

As long as the new processor supports Intel(R) Virtualization Technology, you should not have any issue with Virtual Machine software. Make sure that the motherboard supports the processor that you want to install.

0 Kudos