Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14546 Discussions

To find out the temperature of an i7 860

idata
Employee

I'm running an i7 860 with an intel board DP55WB, and sofar I'm extremely satisfied.

If I have to rate intel boards based on recent experience I'd say they're the best. But I'm curious to know the temperature of the processor because I have the feeling I might have put the thermal paste in a wrong amount. Is there any official software I can use to read the processor's temperature ?

Thank you for your replies.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Download and instal Intel Desktop Utilities for DP55WB board.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Download and instal Intel Desktop Utilities for DP55WB board.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks, the utilities worked perfectly. The processor thermal margin averages 60º C (idle). Is this a normal temperature ? Where can I get the normal temperatures for the i7 860 ?

[Edit: I just read what the thermal margin means, so the average now of 62º C must be very good.

P.S.: How do you get your thermal margin to rise to 75º C, boyet ?]

Regards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That number is very good. However, it is not a fix value since the margin is dependent on the CPU load (programs runned). To answer the question on getting a margin up to 75 (if that is possible for your case) your system should be performing less task. The normal temperature for your present situation is the difference between the max. rated CPU temp (get this from the spec of the CPU) and the margin value.

0 Kudos