Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

How to identify my P 4 CPU

idata
Employee

I need to replace my cpu on my p4 board. How do I decipher the information on the cpu? I have a processor 2.66ghz/512/533 SL6PE and another 2.66ghz/512/533 SL724. What is the difference? Are they both compatible on my Gigabyte ga-8sq800 ultra 2 motherboard?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

You have to get the spec of your motherboard in particular the cpu that it can accomodate and compare it with the specs of your cpus.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Gigabyte does not give all the information. It only states a Northwood cpu. Maybe I should ask, how does one read the processor to tell what it is? 2.66ghz/512/533 SL6PE. 2.66ghz (simple enough), What does the 512 mean? 533 is front line buss (also simple). What does the SL6PE or SL7PE mean and does it make a difference? There are other numbers that are on the cpu's. Q348A062 and T348A30, and 0592.. I guess what I am trying to get at, do these numbers mean anything? Is there a site I can go to that breaks everything down?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Really, the info of your motherboard is the most important piece in deciding which processor to instal. You may be able to do it without the info but the risk of failure is too great to ignore.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It took my a while, but I now have te answer to my original question. What do the codes and numbers mean on a processor? I found that e.g, sl6pe means it is a Northwood processor and is compatible with my board. The sl724 isa lap top cpu and NOT compatible on my board.

Thanks for your help anyway.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

And how did you arrived at those answers? I believed that is what you are asking in this forum?

0 Kudos