Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

i7-4930K throttles RAM frequency to 1333 when using 8 RAM slots?

FFian
Beginner

Hi everyone,

The Headline basically explains my question. I read that the i7-4930K CPU works with up to 64GB memory but if more than 4 of the RAM slots are used, the RAM frequency is reduced to 1300MHz even if the RAM supports 1866MHz. Is that true?

So that would mean if I want to equip my i7-4930K machine with 64GB RAM I better use 4x16GB RAM (1866MHz) instead of 8x8 GB RAM? Obviously the same would apply if i decide to go 'only' for 32 GB RAM. Then 4x8 would be better than 8x4 (1866MHz again). Am I right.

I was not able to find detailed information on that but when I try to configure a machine using 8 RAM modules and the i7-4930K CPU on http://www.alternate.de/html/index.html alternate.de (I am from Germany), a warning is triggered that tells me what I explained above.

Thanks for your help,

Frefi

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Frefi, similar issues were reported on other processors and customers were able to resolve them by updating the BIOS of their motherboards. I would recommend you to check with the motherboard manufacture if there is new BIOS available.

If it is an Intel motherboard, please provide me the model number so I can check the memory specifications and BIOS availability.

In the mean time, I recommend you running the tool named Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool. It can be downloaded at the following link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19792&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20%2864-bit%29*&DownloadType=Utilities%2C%20Tools%20and%20Examples https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19792&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20%2864-bit%29*&DownloadType=Utilities%2C%20Tools%20and%20Examples

FFian
Beginner

Sylvia, thanks a lot for your answer. I posed the question due to an investment decision, so unfortunately I don't have the machine here yet to run the diagnostic tool.

For me it is important to know that I can operate the RAM modules with 1866 MHz because that speeds up extensive mathematical calculations I am planning to do significantly.

In detail I was planning to equip the corresponding machine with the i7-4930K CPU, the ASUS X79-Deluxe Motherboard and either 32GB (G.Skill F3-1866C9Q-32GXM) or maybe even 64 GB RAM (G.Skill F3-1866C10Q2-64GZM).

Unfortunately I cannot find reliable information if that is possible. My online shop of trust as well as my local hardware dealer are skeptical, although these components actually should go well together.

Maybe my concern is a bit to specific for the Intel forum, nonetheless I would be happy if someone who had a similar issue or is running a machine with comparable components could provide some advice on this.

Thanks,

Frefi

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Frefi, let me try to clarify this information with the engineers. I'll keep posted.

0 Kudos