Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

Upgrading workstation from i5

DWard8
Beginner

I'm thinking about upgrading my rig.

The problem I'm having is that I like to game a lot during the night and am kind of a computer hobbyist (hack), but during the day I run my own business as a mechanical engineer. I use a modeling package called solid edge from seimens for the most part and also some adobe apps. My setup that seems to work ok with my software was the i5-2550K and a GTX560Ti-448 with 16GB of GSkill performance memory running at 2133. I have been doing more surface modeling and there are features within the software to do dynamic editing of splines and guides which will change the surface shape on the fly. The response on this is pretty slow, almost to the point of using the dynamic portion is not worthwhile...but I feel with faster computational response to the curve changes using this feature would be advantagous. I have upgraded (if you can call it that) my graphics to an AMD firepro W7000. It should be more than capable of handling the graphics portion. I really miss my old 560 card, as I think it was a much stronger performer over all, but not for the application...and that's what makes the money. I overclock at around 4.5k, but feel that opening up the memory bandwidth would be a greater benefit than just going with a newer processor (like a 4770k). I am interested in the IV-E versions vs a Xeon. I don't want to go to a server, because I want to keep one PC for both gaming/personal use and business apps and also use this as my workstation. I just finished a nice job and have a little change to upgrade with right now, but I still don't want to invest in a poor decision. Most CAD packages today don't use multithreads, and neither does SolidEdge. I was of the understanding that performance for these apps was all about Mhz and memory access. I don't understand what the difference is between running an i5 like mine at higher clocks vs an i7 or even a single xeon at a slower clock. Is there other differences in the architecture hat would support my app? The biggest advantage I could see was the ability to use 4 channel memory bus. That would seem to make a bigger difference to me than just going with a xeon that has a lower clock and fits in my 1155 board that I currently use, but that is why I'm here...cause I'm not an expert.

I don't mind upgrading to a X79 MB. Do you think going with something like this:

Intel Core i7-4820K Ivy Bridge-E 3.7GHz (Turbo 3.9GHz) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80633i74820K

with a new LGA2011 board would work better for my app?

Does anyone have a recommendation for the best path to take.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello davewlex,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems but let me help you.

It is important to mention first that the configuration you mention about a possible system (x79) sounds great and I am sure you will find a great performance using this system; however, is very important for you to know that the i7-4820k is not compatible with the x79 Intel® boards. I know it sounds weird but the thing is that there is not a BIOS update that makes the boards compatible with the newest LGA2011 processors, at least from Intel® side yet.

Now, going back the configuration you currently have, the memory controller inside the i5-2550k processor can handle memory speed of 1333MHz under default settings and that would be the best way.

Another thing that is very important to point is that the i5 processors for desktop platforms do not have the Intel® Hyper Threading Technology. This feature in the processor provides the capability to be multi tasking and so your system will have better performance. You can find this technology on the i3 and i7 processors for desktop solutions and in the mobile platform can be found in all the i core family.

Here is some more information you can check about the feature:

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/hyper-threading/hyper-threading-technology.html https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/hyper-threading/hyper-threading-technology.html

Now that I have explained about Intel® Hyper Threading Technology, I would say that there is a big different between using an Intel® Core i5 and an Intel® Core i7 processor.

Also, I noticed the processor you are using is a second generation processor therefore you should be also able to update the processor to a 3rd generation processor. My best recommendation is to update if possible to a 3rd generation Intel® Core i7 since you are working with heavy applications and in that way I am sure you will get the performance you are expecting and save some money since you may not need to change the board.

0 Kudos