Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Intel Graphics Control Panel Inaccessible in Windows 8 - MSI GD65 BOARD

aefra
Beginner

Hi, I have a MSI GD-65 Z87 and i7-4770K (integrated HD 4600 graphic card). The OS is Windows 8.

I have installed the latest graphics driver, but for some reason, there is no control panel I can access. The "Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel" shortcut created on the Start menu doesn't load anything after being clicked, nor is there any shortcut to the panel on the right-click menu at the desktop. Interestingly, there doesn't even seem to be a tab for Intel graphics in the advanced settings menu under screen resolution.

I thought that I might have had to install the graphics driver that came on the CD with the motherboard first, but that doesn't seem to work in Windows 8.

Please Advice

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MBaas
Beginner

Same situation here, though with a different motherboard (Asus Sabertooth Z87), same processor.

Drivers seem to work, Bios settings are verified correct, yet the Intel HD Graphics Control Pannel Crashes instantly upon launch. You can see the window opening and instantly crashing (really quickly though).

No error is shown or any indication of what might be wrong.

I'm using a NVidia GTX660 gfx card, and Windows 8 Pro x64.

I've done all the checks I can come up with (been in IT for almost 20 years now) but I cannot find what could possibly be wrong.

0 Kudos
aefra
Beginner

thanks for the fast reply - as you mentioned window opening and instantly crashing.

0 Kudos
MBaas
Beginner

It's the driver I'm currently using.

0 Kudos
aefra
Beginner

same here - have the latest driver - and still application crashes.

please advice

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

At this point and since we have tried to replicate the issue with no success and provided the driver from our web site, I recommend you contacting the computer manufacturer in order to update the drivers, including the Management Engine and the Bios and also to get their custom graphics driver specifically design for your unit.

0 Kudos
MBaas
Beginner

I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion, but I take it that you feel that you have investigated this issue thoroughly enough to be sure that it cannot be an issue on your end, right?

I'll see what Asus will come up with and report back when they bring out a new driver.

0 Kudos
MBaas
Beginner

Ok, I went ahead and dug some more around the internet. Turns out that the solution is posted in another forum.

It has nothing to do with drivers, and everything with settings:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?s=a3f25c908856afdc9c3dfaea6595336e&p=2964617 Intel HD 4600 Problem - techPowerUp! Forums

The third post in this forum is the way to solve this. It's a strange way of doing things, since we basically have to 'fake' a monitor connected to this output before the control panel works. A more elegant solution would be to make it work, but notify the user that no monitor is connected to it.

Hope this helps others with the same problem.

Cheers.

0 Kudos