Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Windows* 7/8 Driver (32 & 64 bit) - Version 3257

NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

We've got a new driver available for the 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 4000/2500, 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel HD Graphics 4200/4400/4600/5000, Intel® Iris™ Graphics 5100/Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 5200,

The drivers can be found here;

32-bit ZIP/EXE file: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23105 Download Center

64-bit ZIP/EXE file: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23106 Download Center

Also, http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23106/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_3257_64-bit.pdf Release Notes.

This driver includes improvements to the Intel® Graphics Control Panel, a fix in a major DWM.exe crash issue, and many other fixes and improvements over from the previous driver - a lot of which was contributed by users in the Intel® Graphics Communities in the previous version of this thread. Keep in mind that all feedback submitted with the last thread is not guaranteed to have been fixed, corrected, or actionable - so there may be some residual issues that occur in this driver as well as the last. Feel free to re-post them as you find them though.

I would like to collect constructive feedback for this specific driver so that we can apply it to future revisions of this driver. I ask that you preface the feedback with a bolded heading so that it will be easier to identify, example: Control Panel: It would be cool if X was added. BUG: This application is now crashing and it didn't with the last driver!5000

I also ask that you keep focused on this specific driver. Any off-topic/off-driver/off-product comments will be promptly deleted! If you have any issues with installing the driver, or are unable to get to the driver download pages linked above, please submit those comments in an original thread.

Thank you, and let me know how it goes!

-Nic

0 Kudos
30 Replies
DBuen
Beginner

BUG:

This may not be relevant since this driver supports Windows 8 and i am writing this bug specifically for Windows Server 2012 R2 (Windows 8.1). However I did try to install this on the latest release of Windows Server 2012 R2 RTM version and it will install just fine. The only problem, and big problem is that the Server Manager window will crash every time it comes up, rendering the server useless if you don't have your server roles and features installed. I've learned to install all my roles and features first and deal with the awful Microsoft basic driver; then go back and install this driver version. My current setup is on a Dell Precision M4700 using the Intel Core i7-3720QM Processor and 32GB of RAM. I do have an Nvidia Quadro K2000 card installed but it wont install unless the Intel Graphic drivers are installed first.  

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

@deanbuen: The 3257 driver successfully installed because you are using a driver compatible with that CPU. However, since you are running Windows* Server 2012, which is not a supported OS for that processor, you may be experiencing system stability issues as a result of them not being compatible. I would suggest either sticking with the basic/inbox driver or switching the OS to a non server-based OS.

@hamzaazmi: Are you still using the adapter-cables you mentioned yesterday? I believe you stated you had a cable that had the adapter built into it, so it was HDMI on one end and DVI on the other. Can you verify which DVI type you are using with the below diagram? Also, I would highly recommend using straight-through cables, as adapter-cables are not normally validated to either of their connection type standards (band-aid cables) and are known to cause problems.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:DVI_Connector_Types.svg http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:DVI_Connector_Types.svg

Thanks,

-Nic

0 Kudos
hazmi
Beginner

I don't use DVI Cables at all. I use VGA Cable to connect the laptop to the VGA port of my TV.

0 Kudos
SCham2
Beginner

@nic Is there a similar thread to this one for Server 2012 R2 testing? I have the same problem as deanbuen and hellyarbm with the driver crashing every time you open Server Manager or GfxUIEx and would like to participate in any beta driver testing that would help stop bugs like that.

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23216/a08/ http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23216/a08/

Is this official?

On my Windows 7 x64 system with HD4600 all new drivers (including 15.31.19.3293 from downloadcenter) causing a 10-15% CPU load while my system is in idle. It affects CPU performance, 2D performance and other things. The last drivers without this bug are 9.18.10.3257 and 10.18.10.3262.

0 Kudos
hazmi
Beginner

BUG

I am using a dell vostro 2520 laptop with i-5 3210M (HD 4000) and i use 3d visual effects creating software like element 3d in after effects. The problem is that when I was using the driver version 9.17.10.2849, the oldest driver which was given by dell, opengl was not initializing and further I switched to the driver version 9.18.10.3071. With this driver the element 3d was working but the textures were not able to load onto the obj models. I swithced to the driver version 9.18.10.3165, the element 3d was working perfectly, But with this driver, when I start my laptop, everything goes fine, the welcome window seems perfect but when desktop appears severe COLOUR BLEEDING happens everywhere on my screen. The color bleeding stops when I switch the colour bitrate to 16bit and then to 32bit or change the resolution lower and then to the native (1336x768)pixels. It also stops when I connect the laptop to an alternative display (TV). This also happens with the latest driver version (9.18.10.3257). The 3d page on intel.com didn't helped me at all.

I am using Windows 7 professional 64 bit and I don't have a discreet graphics card.

0 Kudos
RPill2
Beginner

I have a MacBook Air 2013 i5 Intel HD Graphic 5000 in which I'm dual booting Win 8. The driver you list points to a version starting with 15. Why is it after I install this driver and look at the Display adapter in Device Manager on Win 8 the driver version says 9.18.10.3257.

I ask this because in OSX I'm able to play games like Grimrock, but on Win 8 on this same laptop it crashes on startup. I also use a 3D game engine called Leadwerks which again works on OSX but crashes on startup on my Win 8 install on this MacBook Air.

Any ideas why this is? It's clearly a driver issue for Win 8 on this hardware.

Also note that the Intell HD Graphics Control Panel doesn't even launch. It says GfxUIEx has stopped working right when I try to run it. Something is seriously wrong with the Win 8 drivers on MacBook Air hardware.

0 Kudos
BHell3
Beginner

In Windows 8.1 RTM 6.3.9600, GfxUIEx crashes as well. I also cannot play any games, unless they are set to use the dedicated video card. I upgraded from Windows 8.0 instead of a fresh install; did not test a fresh install. I also tried uninstalling drivers completely and re-installing these drivers. Laptop used was a Lenovo Y580.

0 Kudos
RPill2
Beginner

Hey heelyarbm,

I just found this and it worked for me.

http://superuser.com/questions/646794/all-compatible-games-crash-on-windows-8-via-bootcamp All compatible games crash on Windows 8 via Bootcamp - Super User

It's strange because it says they are beta drivers but the version is lower than the most recent drivers, but installing these on my Win 8.1 Pro worked.

0 Kudos
DBuen
Beginner

I tried Yups download link for my issue on the windows server 2012 R2 problem. This didnt fix it.

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I
0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

@Yups: Did this software function properly with 3165?

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I
0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Is it failing for you on the point where it says; Current Test: High polygon count, pre-vertext point lights (Initializing please wait....)?

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

Yes on this test it fails.

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

At this time I have been able to reproduce failing on multiple tests with this software. I will let you know when I have an updated status on it.

As far as the 3293 driver you tested; it is officially supported on NUC only. If you are not using a NUC, I would suggest using the 3257 version.

Thanks,

-Nic

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

So with gluxMark 2.2* I have been unable to make the program work on over 6 previous driver versions so far. Has this program ever worked with Intel® graphics? I don't see anything on the website you posted about the system requirements. Perhaps it only works on 3rd party cards. Has anyone addressed this with the author?

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

The benchmark is based on OpenGL. Minimum 2.1 and up to 3.2 for higher settings. It should work on all OpenGL 2.1 compliant GPUs on minimum details. If not then it is probably a driver issue.

Intels 15.31 supports OpenGL 4.0, I guess all 15.31 driver doesn't work here. 15.33 has updated its OpenGL part, now with OpenGL 4.2 support. I will try if it works. edit: 15.33.3262 fails on Static reflections&refractions test.

15.31.19 might be intended for NUC but it works on all Haswell based devices nevertheless, Readme confirms it:

Supports Intel(R) Iris(TM) graphics, Intel(R) Iris(TM) Pro graphics and Intel(R) HD graphics on:

4th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) Processor Platform

4th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) Processor U Series based Platform

3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) Processor Platform

3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) Processor U Series based Platform

3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) Processor Y Series based Platform

Intel(R) Pentium(R) Processor 2000/3000/G2000/G2100/G3000 Series

Intel(R) Celeron(R) Processor 900/1000/2000/G1000 Series

It doesn't explain the high CPU load under idle on my i5-4670. It's a serious issue, I wonder if this is something in general or some software on my system interferes with the driver.

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

I have also tested this software on the 15.33.3282 driver - same issue follows. I went ahead and tested it on some newer and older hardware as well - still fails. However, this would not be the first time that benchmark software has been written for 3rd party cards only, and excluded our graphics from running properly on it. I am not an expert on benchmarking software though. Have you tested gluxMark* version 1 to see if it works? I ask because I can find results of it working properly on our older products, but nothing for version 2.

3293 will install on newer CPU's, that is true. However, they were posted under the NUC section of the Intel® Downloadcenter, and are also meant to be installed on newer NUC's with our 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors. If you are not running a NUC, then you should be using either the 3257 driver, or the 3282 Windows* 8.1 beta drivers we have posted in the Windows* 8.1 preview communities.

As far as the performance loss you reported - we have folks looking into that.

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

3282 also has the CPU utilization issue. OpenGL is a platform and vendor independent interface. Unless there is a deliberate blocking of Intel GPUs it should run, and it runs but fails on certain tests which is an indicator that something doesn't work as expected from the driver. The dev surely didn't test it on Intel GPUs and so he didn't mention Intel GPUs in his note. I didn't report performance losses in this thread, what do you mean?

0 Kudos