Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 4600 screen flicker

JJack20
Novice

Intel HD Graphics 4600 screen flicker

Hi, all!

From time to time, the screen is flickering on my Acer ASPIRE V3-772G notebook.

1. I can't reproduce it manually.

2. Flickering under Windows 8 x64 and Windows 7 x64 with latest drivers (Intel_HD_Graphics_4600_Win64_153117)

3. Standard MS Windows video driver works fine, without flickering.

4. Video tests (FurMark, 3DMark, OCCT) were passed without errors and flickerings.

Thanks for any advices.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JJack20
Novice

*** SOLVED ****

I downgraded BIOS from v1.11 to v1.08 and seems all OK. Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
DArce
Valued Contributor III

I would like to have some additional details on this.

1. Have you tested running the system under safe mode and see if you still see any flickering?

2. Have you tested using an external video display and see if the flickering occurs in the external display too?

3. Are you getting any error message when the screen flickers?

4. Was anything changed before this started to happen?

5. Did you test using the latest drivers provided by Acer? Was it happening with the original drivers that came installed the system?

In addition, please post the dxdiag report from your system to ave more details on the system being used.

0 Kudos
JJack20
Novice

1. Have you tested running the system under safe mode and see if you still see any flickering?

There are no errors with standard MS video drivers in normal mode. Safe mode seems will load standard drivers too.

2. Have you tested using an external video display and see if the flickering occurs in the external display too?

I haven't any external display...

3. Are you getting any error message when the screen flickers?

There are no errors

4. Was anything changed before this started to happen?

Absolutely randomly, I can't found any dependency

5. Did you test using the latest drivers provided by Acer? Was it happening with the original drivers that came installed the system?

I prefer Windows 7, but Acer's drivers for Windows 8 only.

0 Kudos
tb7
Beginner

Hi Jack

I have the same model off Acer laptop. And I have the same type off problem.

I have a i7-4702MQ GF750M 120GB SSD + 750

Total random screen flicker. Have you had any contact to Acer ?

Hope to hear from you.

Droenert

0 Kudos
JJack20
Novice

Hi droenert.

I don't have contact to Acer. I found a man, who updated a BIOS from 1.06 to 1.11 and got the same problem. I have a 1.11 too. I want downgrade to 1.06 and recheck.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

From what I see you system features switchable graphics as it has an Intel(R) video controller and a nVidia* video controller. This requires the usage of the latest drivers provided by the system manufacturer (specially for the video controller). Now, in fact I can see that you system has been only validated for Microsoft* Windows* 8, which would indicate that there might be hardware/drivers that are not compatible or will not have an appropriate driver when using Microsoft* Windows* 7.

I suggest that you check on a separate hard drive or partition using the operating system that was validated by your system manufacturer to see if this replicates.

Furthermore, if in fact the issue was caused after a BIOS update, you should check with Acer on this to test with a BIOS rollback.

For their contact information you can refer to the following URL:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service Acer | Support

0 Kudos
JJack20
Novice

*** SOLVED ****

I downgraded BIOS from v1.11 to v1.08 and seems all OK. Thanks.

0 Kudos
ANoe
Beginner

Hi,

in short: same laptop (Acer V3-772G), and about 12 hours after I've updated the UEFI from 1.08 to 1.11 I got that flickering: The screen went dark due to inactivity. When I moved the mouse again, it got enabled for half a second, then it went dark again. Entering energy saving mode and then rebooting didn't help. Then, I switched it off by pressing the power button for a couple of seconds. Then, it worked again.

Now I've disabled the Intel HD graphics chip and I'm running only on the NVidia GTX 760M. The problem is that I cannot install Intel's latest drivers because the update says my device is using a customized driver (maybe because of the dual graphics setup) and that I should contact Acer to get a driver update. But their website doesn't show any Intel HD driver update...

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

alexnoe, is there any reason for the Intel(R) video driver to be updated in your case? If this is to troubleshoot the flicker issue reported here, as you can see, this is a problem with the firmware provided by Acer, so even using the latest generic driver from our web site the issue may continue.

0 Kudos
ANoe
Beginner

I updated the firmware because of a BSOD fault. With the original firmware 1.06, the device started to BSOD on September 11 with no obvious trigger. I had to restore to factory settings because even though I deinstalled every update and driver of the preceding week, it continued to cause BSODs. Considerung that many people had BSOD problems with this specific model (none of which seemed to be caused by faulty hardware) I updated to UEFI 1.08 and restored to factory settings. The problem seemed resolved, but when I got another BSOD during a shutdown operation a week later I updated again (SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION) to 1.11. A couple of hours later I got that flickering.

In the meantime, I found out that, although the latest Intel HD 4600 driver is not verified for my device, it is still possible to force it to install (it said it wasn't verified, it didn't say the licence didn't cover the installation...).

It's just an experiment. If the problem continues to occur, I can still go back to UEFI firmware 1.08 and the original driver. I don't know what Intel changed in the driver or what Acer did in the firmware. Maybe it's just the combination of two specific versions which doesn't work correctly together. I'll see...

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

In fact, the generic drivers can be installed in an Original Equipment Manufacturer system instead of using the customized driver provided by the system manufacturer. For information on this you can refer to this article:

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-022355.htm Graphics | Computer Manufacturer Graphics Driver Detected

I did not push for a driver update as this issue has been confirmed to be BIOS related and a driver update should be done only if you do have an issue that is marked as resolved in the release notes of the new version or while troubleshooting, which seems not this case at this point

0 Kudos
ANoe
Beginner

Hi Diego_Intel,

you were right. The problem continued to occur. I just downgraded by UEFI from the faulty version 1.11 to 1.08.

0 Kudos
ANoe
Beginner

As of now, the UEFI version 1.11 is not available anymore on the Acer download page. It seems that Acer agrees that there is a problem.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Hi alexnoe. Thank you for the consistent reporting with this issue.

0 Kudos
LTsen5
Beginner

Hello, as far as I know, the 1.11 bios solved the problem of "v3-772g doesn't recognize multy pressed arrow keys." It means when you press the up, you can't press the right or left at the same time, it will only recognize one signal at one time.

I am using 1.08 right now, and I would like to update to 1.11 to see how it's going. Before I try, can anyone tell me the detail about "roll back the bios from 1.11 to 1.08"? Just click the exe file twice?

Thanks!

P.S.

I found that 1.11 bios can still be downloaded from

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.11_A_A.zip?acerid=635149103546940437&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.11_A_A.zip?acerid=635149103546940437&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE V3-772G&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

0 Kudos
LTsen5
Beginner

Ohh, I got answer:

Unpack the VA70V108.exe with something like WinRar or 7-Zip and then in the platform.ini find "[Bios_Version_Check]" and change "flag=1" to "flag=0" after that save the ini file and run the InsydeFlash.exe as administrator. Thats how I have downgraded my BIOS.

0 Kudos