Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14550 Discussions

i7 can resist more temperature than i5? or i3?

MPolo4
Beginner

Hello, I am here, because I'd like to ask some stuff about my i7 Processor on the Laptop.

I usually have, when i dont run almost any program, 55ºC~60ºC (Using AIDA64 Extreme Edition), and some of my friends says: "Oh my god that very high temperatures!". The point i'd like to reach is that, it's really high temperatures? Or i7 use to have those?

Another question is that, when i play a game, i.e.: Torchlight II, the pc reaches temperatures of 77ºC~~79ºC and it hasn't got much graphics!

Is it normal? Is AIDA64 adding more ºC than the normal? Help please.

(sorry if i did any gramatical mistake)

This is what i get for just having Steam and Firefox open (.exe).

Temperatures

Field Value

Sensor Properties

Sensor Type CPU, HDD, ACPI, PCH, SNB

GPU Sensor Type Diode (NV-Diode)

Temperatures:

CPU 42 °C (108 °F)

CPU Package 62 °C (144 °F)

CPU IA Cores 62 °C (144 °F)

CPU GT Cores 61 °C (142 °F)

CPU # 1 / Core # 1 60 °C (140 °F)

CPU # 1 / Core # 2 62 °C (144 °F)

CPU # 1 / Core # 3 61 °C (142 °F)

CPU # 1 / Core # 4 61 °C (142 °F)

PCH Diode 73 °C (163 °F)

GPU Diode 50 °C (122 °F)

ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Cooling Fans

GPU 0%

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Marc_Bosch,

The processor temperature can be between 40 C to 75 C depending on the usage of the processor and the task it is trying to complete.

It is considered as overheating when the processor reaches more than 92-95 C and after the 102 C the processor will shut down automatically for security reasons.

In regards your question; the i7 can handle the same temperature than i3 and i5 processors.

My best recommendation based on your description is top verify the heat sink has been set properly and check that there is enough thermal material on the processor to cool it down. Also, taking the motherboard outside of the chassis can help to diagnose any airflow problem with your system.

0 Kudos