Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

What settings in Bios and ESXI to passthrough Patsburg dual 4 port and its controllers for ESXI 6

idata
Employee

I have the c600 rksas8 chip installed to enable the use of both onboard SAS ports on the s2600ip4 motherboard.

What settings is required in bios and in esxi 6 to enable the passsthrough of the SAS drives on these controllers?

thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello,

To answer your question, we regret to inform you there is no documentation regarding BIOS settings for ESXi passthrough mode on Intel(R) Server Boards. The BIOS settings we offer are for the Intel® Xeon Phi™ coprocessor which is more capable than a basic GPU accelerator and are the following:

- Double-wide x16 PCI Express slot for each coprocessor in the system

- BIOS support for memory mapped I/O address ranges above 4GB

- Up to 300W power delivery and sufficient cooling (varies by SKU)

- Refer to the Xeon Phi https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-technical-resources.html technical documents for additional information.

We also recommend contacting ESXi directly for further information on your inquiry.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So we need to do the following?

1) enable memory map above 4 GB

2) how much memory to set? auto , 2 , 4, 8 etc?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

No need to change the value, just enable the option.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Enable which option?

Unfortunately, nothing I have tried has worked for me.

Attaching the dual 4 port Patsburg controller, either with or without the accompanying SMI controller bus in ESXI 6.0 - the VM will not start.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

The option is "memory map above 4 GB= enabled". Since these configuration settings are completely out of the scope of support for us please forward your inquiry to VMware for further assistance.
0 Kudos