Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

WIFI Switch

idata
Employee

Ok, I have a Toshiba Satelite A135-S4527. It has Vista Home Premium 32bit on it. I have tried with and with out the toshiba proprietary software installed. (Last resort is reformat.)

On to the issue. I had an Atheros Mini PCI-E wireless a/b/g card in it (AR5006EG I believe). I wanted wireless N so I bought an Intel 5100 abgn mini pci-e card (both full length). I can not get Windows to turn on the Radio. The Proset software won't either. (Tried versions 11 and 13) The Hardware switch won't turn it on either. I put the old Atheros in and both windows and the hardware switch work.

What am I missing? Is there something in the registry that needs to be changed I.E. telling windows how to turn off and on on Intel card? Or is this a BIOS issue? Or is the card simply not compatible with non-Centrino parts?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

have you checked with Toshiba if the notebook can support 5100 ??? just to double check.

idata
Employee

Yes I called Toshiba last night to confirm this. The Tech said that I should be able to use any Mini PCI-E card. I'm skeptical, but not doubting either as Windows recognizes the card and installs the drivers just fine. There is no stop error on POST either.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Update: I'm not able to turn it on in Ubuntu 9.10 either. Defective card? Bios block? Or Toshiba changing the PINOUT on their Mini PCI-E card slot to only work with their products?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So Toshiba has put in a whitelist in there BIOS for this laptop. I put tape over pin 20 and guess what, it now works. Thanks Toshiba for being honest...

0 Kudos