cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update the firmware on 80GB X25-M G2???

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just bought a new 80Gb X25-M G2. It's got the 02HA firmware - should I update to the 02HD firmware, or is that only for the people who had problems with the original firmware update to 02HA?

Have they solved the "bricking the drive" problem? I still get TRIM support with 02HA, don't I - is there any pressing reason to update?

Cheers!

4 REPLIES 4

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I haven't seen any news from Intel saying those who successfully installed 02HA should update to 02HD, but I did and everything is fine. Yes, the new 02HD solves the "bricking problem" they had with firmware update 02HA.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I should add that Intel does state:

Intel recommends that end users http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363 Download this firmware update tool and upgrade your SSD

What Intel doesn't do, and should do, is provide information as to any enhancements/improvements over previous 02HA firmware.

The upgrade process is to me quite simple.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, I guess that was what I was wondering - what is the benefit of updating? You would think that if there was a real benefit over the 0H2A firmware (like improved performance, say) Intel would be trumpeting it. Instead they just say it's "to fix the issue with the firmware update process". Since my SSD already has the 0H2A update I don't see the benefit, and I'm a bit hesitant to make a (possibly unnecessary) firmware alteration on a drive that cost me A$400.

They do say that it "provides Trim support" but that was what the 0H2A update was supposed to provide in the first place. Has anybody got any information about any real improvements from this update for the 80GB? It would be nice if Intel could give it better sequential write performance (like the 160GB), especially since they now trail Indilinx-based drives in this respect.

Cheers!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The sequential write speed for 80GB SSD was not improved with 02HD as the 160GB drive was with 02HA.

I updated from 02HA to 02HD and it is a simple procedure, at least it was for me.