Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Updating from Matrix Storage Manager to Rapid Storage Technology

idata
Employee

Hi All,

I'm running a Core i7 motherboard with two X25-M SSDs in a RAID 0 configuration with Windows 7 Pro x64. The RAID is controlled by the Intel Matrix Storage Manager v8.8. I'd like to update that to the latest Rapid Storage Technology drivers and console. An Intel support page said just run the suftware and reboot. It sounds easy.

However, in the installation readme file, it says, "The 'Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility' must be installed on the system after a supported Microsoft Windows operating system has been installed." I've checked the download page and there are 58 matching results for this utility. They're pretty old. None of them mentions the X58 chipset. I can't figure out which one to install. What should I do?

Also, where can I find out what improved functionality I would be getting with the upgrade? Thanks!

-Gary-

My System: Windows 7 Pro x64, Service Pack 1ZoneAlarm Extreme Security v9.3.037.000 Intel Core i7 920 with stock coolerASUS P6T Deluxe mobo with OC Palm Remote (BIOS 2209)Corsair Dominator 6GB (3 x 2GB) TR3XG1600C8D DDR3 1600Intel X25-M 80GB SSD G1 x 2EA in a RAID 0 configuration 128 KB stripeCooler Master 700W 80 PLUS SILVER Certified PSUEVGA NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3LG 22X DVD +/- R DVD Burner SATASamsung SyncMaster 953BW 19"Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case
0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Thanks for your comments. I had laready downloaded the file you mentioned. In fact, while running it I was presented with the aforementioned readme file that was the source of my question. So my question remains looking for an answer.

I did find the INF Update Utility for my X58 chipset which is the new name for what was requested in the readme file. So I think I'm getting closer. It may be all I need to run before updating to RST.

Regarding the features per chipset, as both my current Matrix Storage Manager and the upgrade to the Rapid Storage Technology are of the ICH10R variety, the table doesn't provide any information about the differences between the two versions I mention. I'd still like to know what the differences are between the MSM v8.8 and RST v10.1.

-Gary-

idata
Employee

That's the information I was looking for. Thanks!

I avoided Matrix Storage Manager v8.9 because I was reading a lot of complaints about it. I don't know much about RST v9.6. I'll see if I can find the release notes. Finally, v10.1 doesn't seem to add much, which might be why I don't read many complaints about it.

However, you raise a good point. My system is stable now. I approach updating drivers for a RAID 0 with some trepidation. If the primary change to RST 10.1 relates to TRIM and I have a Gen 1 X25-M in RAID, then I may be wasting my time upgrading and only inviting trouble. I'll see if I can identify a compelling reason to upgrade to RST 10.1. Thanks again for the lead.

-Gary-

0 Kudos