Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

S5520HC with second XEON L5630 does not start anymore

idata
Employee

Hi,

I just ried to add a second CPU (XEON L5630) to my S5520HC server board. I also added 48 additional Gigs of RAM (Kingston KVR1333D3D4R9SK3/24GI.

After that the system should have 2 INTEL Xeon L5630 CPUs and 96 Gis of RAM (all the same Kingston RAM).

I also attached the second CPU power line (4 part plug) to the power socket for CPU 2.

After the hardware upgrade the system does not boot any more. The monitor stays dark, it´s not possible to enter BIOS and the LED on the back are not getting green. What went wrong here?

Best Regards

Mike

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

If you drop down to minimal RAM, does it boot fine?

What's the amperage rating on the 12V rail, on the power supply?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

no it doen´t boot at all. No matter how much RAM is attached. I also tested the new RAM by swopping it with the old one ... works fine. Same with the CPU.

The system gives beep code 1-5-4-2 (Power fault: DC power unexpectedly lost (power control failures)). So I ordered a new PSU with 2x 8 PIN EPS connectors. Might that be a solution?

Best Regards

Mike

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No, the issue persists ... no matter how many RAM modules are inserted.

The system give the beep signal 1-5-4-2 Power fault: DC power unexpectedly lost (power control failures). So I ordered a new PSU with two 8 PIN EPS connectors which are not present in the actual one.

Best Regards

Mike

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

It is very much power related. You are on the right track - see also thehttp://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-030487.htm reference chassis list for the S5520HC, both Intel and non-Intel.

0 Kudos