Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Xeon Processors

idata
Employee

I know that the older generations of Xeon processors have never been optimal for gaming. I also know they are for server use for the most part but the question I have is with the newer Xeon's. Will they work for gaming say I have a motherboard that has slots for dual xeons and I want to add in an AMD 6790 Graphics card and up the memory to the max would it work well as a gaming rig?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Evga makes a board that uses dual Xeons , Model SR-2 - 270-WS-W555-A2 , LGA1366, Which can use dual Xeons and multiple graphics cards , $ 575.00 . At NewEgg.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

But is that a server class board or consumer? Also while that is good info on what to look at it doesn't answer my question of how the newer Xeon's handle gaming like World of Warcraft and COD type of games.

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

You will have no trouble slowing the newer XEON's down to handle games.

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

This a serious board for serious People that want and have the $$$ to build a super sys. With the right components I do not think there is a Game or a program on this Planet that you could not run at full speed . One coment if you are going to do this do your Homework and do it right.

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Counting the board and a pair of Xeon's and the Ram and a good PSU 1200Watt Gold cert , with a full size ATX case and the other normal components your looking at about $4000.00 on the low end.

0 Kudos