cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 600p PCIe SSD as Boot Disc

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This new SSD seems pitched at relatively general users. I have one of these on the way and was thinking maybe use it as boot/OS and misc applications disc (std, non extreme, small office network) for MS Server 2012 R2, using Intel Xeon E3-1220 v5 on an Asus P10S WS. All starting on factory settings. i.e the systems disc for a decent but routine mixed purpose server. Data discs are std good HDD. The useage is more multi user multi apps, than extreme on data handling, so this SSD for sytems rather than data looked like it might be good.

It appears in that combo it needs no additional driver over the R2 included driver (is that right?), but I cannot trace any comment specifically on using the 900p as boot disc, (maybe this is now presumed to be possible?) So would appreciate any comments on any reason for this not to work in that combo. If not straight forward, setting changes required to make that possible?

For wider interest I suppose the query might usefully be extended to pro and con of using this SSD as boot disc generally.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Technibunda,

We understand you would like to know if the Intel® SOlid State Drive 600p can be used as boot drive in Windows Server 2012 R2*.According to the following https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/mt718131(v=vs.85).aspx link, the operating system includes the NVMe* driver you need to use the drive as boot disc. So far, we have heard of limitations for Windows 7* and Windows Server 2008* due to the native driver not present in the installer.Please let us know if you need any further assistance.Regards,NC

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Many thanks for the response which appears to confirm.

Meanwhile its arrived so will put it together over the weekend.

I note there are 6000p series also but these appear to be essentially the same.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Technibunda,

Thanks for replying back. About the other series, the drive is indeed essentially the same, please find this compare http://ark.intel.com/compare/94924,94913 link with details of both drives. There are basically only 2 differences.Let us know if you require further assistance.Regards,NC

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Technibunda,

We would like to know if you require further assistance about this thread. We will be waiting for your response.Regards,NC