Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20455 Discussions

Multi-monitor problems with driver version: 15.40.28.4501

idata
Employee

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

- Cannot open the Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel

- In the Windows "Display settings" everything is messed op, attachment 4501.png

- It seems impossible to extend the display only duplication the screen seems to work

- revert to 15.40.25.4463 and everything works again

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Dell XPS 15 (9550)

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

NVIDIA GTX960M

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)...
10 Replies
aandr28
New Contributor I

I have the same problems on my 6th gen i7 with hd 530 messed options in screen settings and no intel graphics options panel with 4501 drivers

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm seeing some similar issues with my new MSI Stealth laptop with the Intel HD 530 and NVIDIA GTX 1060 since getting the Tuesday update to Windows 10 1607 14393.187.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi bschapendonk,

Your Dell computer works with Hybrid graphics, it means Nvidia graphics works together with Intel graphics; this configuration requires custom settings by the PC manufacturer. Intel generic drivers available at downloadcenter are intended for PCs working with just Intel graphics.

Dell drivers provide with the best graphics experience.

I noted at Dell website a new Intel custom graphics version 4483, released on 09/06/16. Also, there is a warning suggesting to update the BIOS and docking station's drivers.

New BIOS and drivers are available on the link below: (Dell XPS 15 (9550)

http://www.dell.com/support/home/hk/en/hkdhs1/product-support/product/xps-15-9550-laptop/drivers/advanced http://www.dell.com/support/home/hk/en/hkdhs1/product-support/product/xps-15-9550-laptop/drivers/advanced

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

RobTargosz,

Go to MSI support website and update BIOS and drivers.

MSI support website:

https://us.msi.com/support https://us.msi.com/support

Let me know how it works.

Mike C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No BIOS updates available. Rolled back to the 4454 driver and it is working correctly now. Lesson learned: don't use the Intel driver update utility on custom laptops?!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi RobTargosz,

Yes, it is recommended to use the PC manufacturer drivers for Hybrid graphics.

Mike C
0 Kudos
aandr28
New Contributor I

I still believe the problem is with new drivers no matter you use them on hybrid graphics configuration or machine has only intel graphics, if his mashines works fine with older intel generic drivers or older manufacturer modified drivers the new ones should work too. But they dont. And everyone has identical problems. The problem with manufacturer drivers is what they are almost around 1 year old and they are not updating or they release new driver package using again old year old intel diver version . It is said by intel its better to use manufacturer modified optimized driver, but from my own experience machine with updated generic intel drivers always works better, always.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi lucanas,

PC manufacturers usually take their time while testing drivers. Our generic drivers might work or not on pre-build systems.

Mike C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi bschapendonk,

I am following up on your case. Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Mike C
0 Kudos
aandr28
New Contributor I

testing takes a while I understand but not half year or even more as their tested drivers gets useless outdated, apps doesn't work so who has a need for such drivers?

0 Kudos