Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

Does my CPU limits the speed of RAM?

idata
Employee

I have Core i5 750 and I read that the memory only supports 1066/1333 Mhz. But my Mainboard (MSI h55-GD 65) supports up to 2300 Mhz (Oc'ed).

I am planning to buy a 1600 Mhz RAM (gaming ram) because it is the RAM that is causing the bottleneck on the system. My processor is enough for gaming so I don't plan to upgrade unless it has been misused/damaged/ etc.

I want straight to the point. Can I use 1600 RAM? And does it limit the system or not? thank you.

I read some threads similar to this but it makes complicated for me so I made with a thread that needs a simple, straight to the point answers. Thank you.

i5si

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello Kevin,

The memory controller nowadays locates on the processor; therefore, the RAM speed is limited to what the memory controller has been designed to support. If using 1600 MHz it might be expected to see the processor downgrading the speed to what it supports: 1066/1333 MHz

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Kevin,

The memory controller nowadays locates on the processor; therefore, the RAM speed is limited to what the memory controller has been designed to support. If using 1600 MHz it might be expected to see the processor downgrading the speed to what it supports: 1066/1333 MHz

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you. Unfortunately, this is my big mistake by selecting a processor. I did not read the specification(s) of this processor regarding on the memory before buying one.

I guess I will have to recover the limit of the processor by upgrading the memory sizes.

0 Kudos