Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

i5 4690k 100 CPU usage

idata
Employee

Hello since a month or two ago i have noticed a large CPU spike, whenever i boot up my computer it is at 100% with anti virus hogging it for a while then it dies down, but when ever i play any games it always boots back up to 100%, with the game being at around 95% even when it used to be at 60%.Even opening Chrome can put the CPU to 100 and cause freezing and stuttering I have tried reseating the CPU and reapplied the thermal paste, in games like GTA V the CPU temp is around 55c and i have tried putting games at high priority. any help would be appreciated

Also i have tried formatting both of my drives and reinstalling my OS what should i do?

And everything non essential on the process list has been stopped and it still happens.

I also have a custom cooler Thermal Right True Spirit 120

CPU: Intel i5 4690k 3.50ghz Ram: 2 x 4gb Corsair 4gb 1333hz Main SSD: Samsung EVO 850 120gb Secondary HDD: 1tb WD blues Mobo: Gigabyte Z97P-D3 Gpu: GTX 1060 6GB

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello MisterWhiskers:

In regard to your question, I just wanted to let you know that depending on the game it is expected for the processor to reach 100% of cpu usage but the fact that the PC is freezing and stuttering is not normal, those symptoms most of the times are related to overheating as well.

Now since you are using an external video card that problem could also be related to it, do you have the option to test the PC without the video card and use the onboard graphics of the processor?

Did you try a BIOS update on the board to the latest version?

Do you have the option to swap parts, like using the processor on a different board or test your board with a different processor?

On the following link you will find a tool to test the processor, it does an overall test including temperature and clock speed, second option on the left to install it, if the processor pass the test it should be fine.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello MisterWhiskers:

I just wanted to check if you saw the information we are requesting on the previous post? It is very useful for us to further assist you, and also I wanted to check if the problem got resolved or if it still persists?

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sorry i am in the process of RMA right now.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello MisterWhiskers:

Perfect, no problem, thank you very much for letting us know that information.

We are glad to hear that you were able to replace the processor and once you get the new one the PC should work just fine without any problems, please let us the if the problem gets fixed with the new processor.

Alberto

0 Kudos