Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14534 Discussions

i5 4690k 100 CPU Usage.

idata
Employee

Hello since a month or two ago i have noticed a large CPU spike, whenever i boot up my computer it is at 100% with anti virus hogging it for a while then it dies down, but when ever i play any games it always boots back up to 100%, with the game being at around 95% even when it used to be at 60%.Even opening Chrome can put the CPU to 100 and cause freezing and stuttering I have tried reseating the CPU and reapplied the thermal paste, in games like GTA V the CPU temp is around 55c and i have tried putting games at high priority. any help would be appreciated

Also i have tried formatting both of my drives and reinstalling my OS what should i do?

And everything non essential on the process list has been stopped and it still happens.

I also have a custom cooler Thermal Right True Spirit 120

CPU: Intel i5 4690k 3.50ghz Ram: 2 x 4gb Corsair 4gb 1333hz Main SSD: Samsung EVO 850 120gb Secondary HDD: 1tb WD blues Mobo: Gigabyte Z97P-D3 Gpu: GTX 1060 6GB

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Does this happen when you unplug ethernet cable(and wait for a few minutes)?

Maybe your computer becomes a part of botnet for hacker wars between usa and russia when your windows10 gets an update from a fake server? There are people intentionally using load-test software on game servers such as counter strike (to put load on server so it is loaded more than usual) maybe you are a victim to one of those if they got your mac address or somehow your internet traffic?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Tried it but no success.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello MisterWhiskers,

Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to launch Task Manager, then, click the Processes tab and choose "Show processes from all users". You should now see everything running on your PC at the moment. Then click the CPU column header to sort by CPU usage, and look for the process that's the most demanding, click detail tab and select the program, right click on it and set priority to low.

Now right-click the process again, select Set Affinity, and clear all but one of the CPU boxes. The "Processor Affinity" setting tells Windows which CPU cores are allowed to run a particular application, and so by restricting it to one you'll free up the others for the rest of your programs.

Also, make sure Windows is up to date and all the drivers installed, try updating the BIOS to the latest version from your motherboard manufacturer website.

I hope this can help.

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

None of this worked so i am going to RMA my CPU, thank you anyway.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You are more than welcome!

I hope you can have better experience with the replacement.

Ivan.
0 Kudos