Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

No video signal and server shuts down

idata
Employee

I have a brand new server. The motherboard is Intel S2600CP4, two 8-core Intel E5-2600 processors. RAM is 8 DIMM slots of 8 GB each (KVR1600D3D4R11SK4/32GI, I installed them into the blue slots), Power supply is 1050W Corsair.

Most of the time the server won't start up - the fans are spinning, but I don't have video signal. And it keeps restarting on its own every 3 mins. But maybe after 30 mins it will eventually load and show something on the screen. I even was able to install ESXi 5.0 (vSphere) on it. It recognizes both CPUs and all of the 64GB of RAM. But even then it worked only for around 5 hours and than restarted on its own. Also, before it starts successfully, it makes beeps "3-2"

What's the problem? That's a very expensive peace of hardware and I can't afford purchasing a new motherboard/CPU.

By the way, on the front panel the "System Status" LED is constantly amber (not blinking), even when the server started successfully. And also in the BIOS I can see lots of "processor 01 unable to apply microcode update 8160" fatal errors.

Please help me with issue, I will really appreciate this!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Normally the 8160 error indicates the BIOS does not support the processor stepping, and it could be fixed by applying the latest BIOS/Firmware update... What's your board PBA# and CPU sSpec# ? Did you try to boot the system with minimal configuration, i.e. one CPU and one DIMM?

0 Kudos