Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20501 Discussions

Sandy Bridge vs. Sony TVs and others

idata
Employee

Is anyone using Sandy Bridge with Sony TVs such as the W4100 and XBR6 series? Does Sandy Bridge suffer from the PC/HDTV timing bug? Does Intel provide a workaround?

Background: When connected to a PC in Windows 7, these TVs (and some others from Philips and Vizio, IIRC) have an issue known as the PC/HDTV timing bug, in which the TV goes into a 1920x1080 PC mode instead of the desired 1080p video mode. For Sony TVs, this results in a washed-out picture and all the TV's video settings disabled, and if you configure Windows Media Center to use 1080p, you mode-switch going in and out of video, and it interacts very badly with the 29/59 bug. Nvidia has had a workaround in its driver for 1.5 years or so, enabled by setting "Content type reported to the display" to "Full screen videos". This causes the TV to stay in 1080p at all times. For older ATI cards and drivers, going DVI(card)->HDMI(TV) avoided the problem, at least when using a plain, passthrough DVI/HDMI cable or adapter (not the "special" adapters ATI used to supply). Newer ATI card/driver combinations like 6670/11.10 detect the TV correctly when a normal HDMI cable is used.

Worries: I have a spare computer based on Intel G41 (Asus P5G41C-M) that I just hooked up to my Sony TV, and sure enough, its HDMI port puts the TV into the PC mode. The G41 board lacks a DVI port, so I can't test the old ATI workaround of going DVI(card)->HDMI(TV). I can't find anything in the Intel control panel that corresponds to Nvidia's "Full-screen videos" workaround. So, it appears Intel's G41 is fundamentally incompatible with Sony and some other TVs. Bummer.

For a number of reasons, I would love to get out of ATI and Nvidia forever for my HTPC purposes, so I'm looking to give Sandy Bridge a try, but of course that means building a new computer. I would hate to go to this trouble and expense only to find Sandy Bridge suffers from the PC/HDTV timing bug, and it's uncorrectable, as appears to be the case with G41.

Which finally leads back to my original questions. Is anyone using Sandy Bridge with Sony TVs such as the W4100 and XBR6 series? Does Sandy Bridge suffer from the PC/HDTV timing bug? Does Intel provide a workaround?

5 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Hi there!

I am currently researching on this issue. As soon as I can, I will send you a message with our findings. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Thanks

Allan.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Hi there!

I need more detailed information about your case, our engineering department requires the graphics report, this is report generated within the Intel(R) Graphics User Interface. To access this report, please click on Start >> Control Panel >>Intel GMA driver >> information >> Save To File...

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-009476.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-009476.htm

Make sure to copy and paste report and reply at mailto:graphics@mailbox.intel.com graphics@mailbox.intel.com

Thanks

Allan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I realize this post is old, but I am having the exact same issue with my Sony TV. Has there been any resolution?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Please fill out this form in order to replicate this issue:

Allan.

0 Kudos
SMehr5
Beginner

# Bump.

0 Kudos