Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Can't get over 175 mbps with new Intel AC 7260

bmilo
Beginner

I have a brand new Intel Dual Band AC 7260, in a brand-new Windows 7 build.

• Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, fully updated / patched
  • No other software on this computer
  • Brand new Gigabyte GA-Z-97x motherboard with the most recent BIOS (version F6)
  • Brand new Intel i7-4790k stock speed (not overclocked)
  • Brand new 16 gb DDR3 RAM
  • ASUS RT-AC68U router
  • Latest Intel chipset and AC 7260 card drivers

Connecting to my router, the Intel Dual Band AC 7260 card (P/N 7260HMWDTX1 ) never gets more than 175 mbps.

Switching over an older PC, using an ASUS PCE-AC66, ON THE SAME ANTENNA IN THE SAME LOCATION as the Intel Dual Band AC 7260 card, I get ~ 1 gbps.

Why is the Intel card SO MUCH SLOWER????

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello BillMilosz,

Let me help you with this.

May I know what software are you using to get the speed you are getting with the wireless card?

Please provide the following:

1. System information report. How to get it?

System Information: Click Start> Type System Information> Click File> Export> Save File> Attach using Advanced Editor Options.

1. What is the security encryption setup on your router?
  2. What is the brand latest firmware installed on your router?
  3. Make sure antennas are connected correctly.
  4. How many devices do you have connected to the router?
  5. What is the wireless driver version installed on your computer?

Kevin M

0 Kudos
bmilo
Beginner
  1. What is the security encryption setup on your router? WPA-2 PERSONAL PSK / AES
  2. What is the brand latest firmware installed on your router? Router is ASUS RT-AC68U firmware version 3.0.0.4.376_3626-g9a8323e - this is the latest version available from ASUS
  3. Make sure antennas are connected correctly. Antennas are in same location where I get ~1,000 mbps when connecting a computer using an ASUS PCE-AC66 wireless adapter, and have been oriented for maximum signal strength
  4. How many devices do you have connected to the router? No other wireless devices; 3 other devices on router's Ethernet ports
  5. What is the wireless driver version installed on your computer? 17.1.0.19

Note- for security / privacy reasons I am not going to attach a SYSINFO report here. Give me an email address and I'll email it to you.

FYI signal strength is showing as 80%; I'm connected over 5GHz; my router is the only 5 gHz SSID shown, nop others in the area; signal strength is -66 dBm

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

You're comparing a 3x3 card to a 2x2 card. Still, to me it's 802.11ac but the channel width is probably only 20 mhz. Set your router to forcefully use 80 Mhz channel width instead of auto.

0 Kudos
bmilo
Beginner

I am just stating that the Intel card is coming nowhere near the bandwidth they claim is possible. The Intel marketing copy claims "The 802.11ac, dual-band, 2x2 Wi-Fi plus Bluetooth* adapter that lets you move at the speed of life with faster speeds (up to 867 Mbps)"

175 mbps is only 20% of the claimed bandwidth.

I mention the ASUS PCE-AC66 just to indicate there is nothing wrong with the router and that the location I am using has plenty of signal available. If the ASUS can perform near it's maximum, why can't the Intel perform nearer to it's maximum?

And, FYI, router is already set to 80 mbps only.

0 Kudos