Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14540 Discussions

Should i take Broadwell or should i wait for skylake?

TKund1
Beginner

Hello , am thinking upgrading cpu , but in end of spring , what should i take ? broadwell or wait skylake ? amd will upgrade motherboard and cpu , am using DDR3 , i won;t upgrade to DDR4.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

This is a very good question. Both technologies are great but I think this depends on different things such as what performance you need and also financial means will be another thing to take a look.

As I said, both are great products but will depend on what you need the processor for.

Kevin M

TKund1
Beginner

Thank you for your opinion, I need cpu for rendering and gaming too , because am using NVIDIA GTX 770 and with my old AMD athlon II X4 631 it don't work as it could if i had some Decent intel cpu. I don't want to take current 4th cpu because it's just 7% boost in performance comparing to 3th cpu, performance increase per gen was very poorly , I want take cpu wich will be powerfull enough for next 5years , am think to spend around 400$ on cpu and about 120$ on motherboard , i Thinking to take some Decent 5th i7 wich will still support DDR3 rams , Z97 motherboard , i was thinking about current gen hexa core i7 5820k but it just support DDR4 ram , in my country that kind of rams cost more than cpu -_- and i would need for that cpu motherboard wich again cost as much as CPU. If skylake will need same things i won't take it at all , am person who takes things wich worth money , i took GTX 770 because it was best performance and price ratio, i will do same thing with CPU, Definetely upgrading only for Intel! if you have something to tell me , please reply! thank you for respond

Tadziun

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

The Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Processor is a very good product and I am pretty sure it will provide enough power for your tasks. Here is the product information:

http://ark.intel.com/products/82932/Intel-Core-i7-5820K-Processor-15M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz http://ark.intel.com/products/82932/Intel-Core-i7-5820K-Processor-15M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

But, it will require DDR4. On the other hand the Haswell processors have up to 15% improvement compared with previous technology.

So gain, this depends on the budget you have available and the options we have on the market.

Kevin m

0 Kudos
TKund1
Beginner

Yes it's very nice cpu , but it cost 380eur in my country and motherboard for that cpu would cost atleast 200eur , and some 8gb DDR4 would cost over 100eur , it's to much , i thinking to spend around 380eur for cpu and motherboard in common , i was think about that cpu , but motherboard is very expensive and DDR4 ram required. I wanna stick with my DDR3 8gb , Maybe Intel will release some I7 5770K i would take it in combo with Z97 motherboard, or maybe some i5 next gen, but really i7 5820k is to expensive for me. Anyway thank you for advice , maybe i will contact you in future than broadwell will arrive

Best regards Tadziunia

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos